Laps And More Laps

Maya's POV

My alarm rings and I sit up on my bed and rub my eyes sleepily. I press the dismiss button on my phone and the annoying buzzing sound dies.

I'm still very sleepy. Last night one episode of Supergirl turned into three and I slept two hours later than usual.

You could just go back to sleep.

I violently shake my head to get rid of the idea.

"Lilly?" My voice is low and my eyelids are heavy with sleep.

I look to my left at her bed and my heart sinks when I see it. It's neatly made, no one has slept in it since the other night.

It hits me now that the entire house is empty except for me. This already doesn't feel like it'll be a good day.

I throw the comforter off my body and get up to do my bed. Once I'm done, I make my way downstairs in hope of finding something to eat.

I hope we still have cereal.

Lilly was always making breakfast and now I know I'll be living off cereal until the day I decide to acquire some culinary skills.

I open the cupboards and find a box of instant oatmeal and grab it. I turn the sink tap and pour water into the kettle before turning it on.

I take a banana from the bowl on the counter and cut it into thick slices. Once the water boils I add it to the instant oatmeal in a bowl and mix them.

As I'm about to eat the first spoon of my breakfast, there's a knock on the door.

Who could that be?

I open the door and there, in all his glory, stands Mason Wilder.

He's dressed in black tracksuit pants and a black loose t-shirt with running shoes on.

"Banks." He gives me an amused grin and eyes me up and down.

I realise that I'm still in my wonder woman pajamas with puffy eyes and bed hair.

"Oh!" I hide behind the open door.

He chuckles before saying, "May I come in?"

"Uhm..." I come out from behind the door and look down at my blue fuzzy unicorn slippers. "Yeah, come in."

He walks in and stops a few feet from the door and turns to face me. I walk past him to the kitchen, murmuring that he should follow me.

"What are you doing here?" I sit on the bar stool and grab my bowl of oatmeal.

"We have practice today." He states nonchalantly, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"No we don't." I say once I've swallowed.

We never spoke about when he'd help me out. I assumed it'd be after school.

"Oatmeal and fresh bananas, nice. The right breakfast for what's ahead." He says, ignoring my statement.

"Mason, I'm not going to school. It's Saturday, I have plans and you are not in my schedule."

"Banks, if I'm going to help you, we need to do this my way. Why do I need to be in your schedule?"

Because everything I do is in there!

"Can't we start on Monday." I whine.

It's not even 7:30am and he wants me to leave my home to go do physical activity.

"Finish up," he chuckles, "and go get ready."

His phone rings and he takes it out of his pocket before excusing himself. He stands by the entrance of the kitchen and I stare at him in confusion.