Bad Men In Black Suits

Maya's POV

It's been two weeks since that party, since I woke up at Mason's house and stormed out. This time he's respected my wishes and kept his distance.

How can he not when I've made sure to avoid him? The first couple of days he tried to talk to me or get me to keep coming to school with him but it was all in vain. I convinced mom that I needed to take the bus. Dad didn't need much convincing, he was actually glad his little girl wasn't constantly in the company of a boy anymore.

There's only one problem. I don't like this.

I don't like being away from Mason all the time and I don't like this distance thing. What hurts is that he seems to not have a problem with it.

He seems to be living his best life. Always followed by a groupie of girls swooning after him. He doesn't seem to miss me at all. In fact, it's almost like he feels better off without me. Now he doesn't even bother with me. I've tried greeting him in the hallways and in class but I'm lucky if I even get a nod.

"Ms. Banks," I look up at Mr. McCoy who's packing up his papers, "are you ready to leave."

My eyes move to the watch above him and I nod. I'm the only student that stayed behind in his class this afternoon. I've been doing that for the past two weeks. It gives me time to finish my homeworks and wait for the 4pm bus, which has less people.

I push back my chair and get up. I quickly pack away my books and say my goodbyes to Mr. McCoy before exiting his classroom.

***
Mason's POV

I'm walking down the hallway, heading for the third floor to get my backpack from my locker. I was in the field waiting for Max's lacrosse practise to end.

I'm playing with the scrunchie Maya left in my bathroom two weeks ago. The last time I actually spoke to her.

I've been meaning to give it back to her but I don't know where to begin. She made it clear she wanted me to keep my distance and I'm respecting her wishes. I also haven't received any threats about her since Justin spread the news of our "break up" so that's a good thing.

The only problem is that I miss her. I miss her awkwardness and shyness. I miss her sweet laugh and her beautiful smile. I miss how she always confused me. I even miss the beautiful sight of her reading, her gaze intensely focused on the pages as she made cute facial expressions.

Damn!

I chuckle at the thought and shove the plain black material in my jean pockets.

"Ow!" The exclaim comes from someone else. Someone I've just bumped into.

"I'm so sorry." I look up and find Maya in front of me.

She's clutching on to a novel and looks at me nervously.

"H...Hi." I hesitate on the word.

She parts her lips to reply but she gives in to her hesitation and doesn't reply. She moves past me towards the exit.

Man, I messed up.

The worst part is that I'm not even sure what I did. Is she mad because I left her alone at the party? Does she blame me for what happened that night?

I shake my head to try and push the thoughts away before going up the stairs. I get to the third floor and open my locker.

I hear my phone ringing nonstop and realise that I left it in my bag. I quickly retrieve it from the small pocket of the black backpack and unlock it.