If You Can Read My Mind

Immediately when we open the door and enter the room of drunk teenagers and atmosphere of raging hormones, I begin to cringe. Mason immediately interlocks our fingers and I look up at him and smile.

This is worse than before. There are more people and the music sounds louder.

"Mason, hey man." A skinny tall guy approaches us, his voice barely audible.

I remember seeing him here a couple of times. He gives Mason a 'bro hug' and nods at the rest of us.

"What's up, Duncan?" Mason asks over the music.

I search around the small room, trying to locate my friends. It doesn't help that I can barely see anyone through all this crowd.

My height is not helping right now.

"We have to go talk outside." Duncan replies.

Mason looks at me and leans down before whispering into my ear.

"I don't want to leave you alone in here."

"I'm not alone, Max is here." I whisper back.

He looks up at a confused looking Duncan and remains silent. His eyes move between Duncan and Max and finally down at our hands.

"Let's go!" He says to Duncan, who nods and turns around, heading towards the exit door.

Mason smiles before leading me in the same direction. I take a deep breath, hoping that nothing goes wrong.

When we get outside and Duncan finally looks back, he's shocked by my presence. He quickly shakes his head and looks at Mason.

"What do you need to tell me?" Mason asks, this time not needing to scream in the empty area.

"The Man..." Duncan pauses, "Mason, what are you doing? What is it that you've involved yourself in?"

"You mean other than what you and your dad already did?" Mason laughs and rolls his eyes. "Nothing."

"Dude, I can't change the past. I'm sorry for what my dad and I did to you."

What? What did they do?

"What do you have to tell me, cuz?" Mason repeats with a clenched jaw.

I want to let go of his hand and take a step back.

"The Man, he's planning to do something that will teach you a lesson." Duncan's eyes move to me and I gulp nervously. "Like he did with Emma."

Emma?

My head jerks up in Mason's direction and he avoids my gaze.

Who in the multiverse is Emma?

"Mason, if you're going to protect her, you're going to need help."

Mason chuckles and shakes his head. "And you're going to help me?"

Duncan nods and crosses his arms. "I know I wasn't there last time when you needed me but I'll make sure that never happens again."

My phone beeps from my bag, causing all eyes to turn to me. I let go of Mason's hand and nervously go through my bag. When it's finally in my hands, I unlock it and open text messages from Shelly.

Shelly : May whr R U

Shelly : Were inside with Masons frnds

I cringe at Shelly's terrible grammar.

"What's wrong?" Mason asks.

"It's Shelly," I put the phone back in my bag, "she wants to know where I am. I think I should go inside and find them."