36. Forget About Me

THIRTY-SIX FORGET ABOUT ME

◥✥◤

They made it through the night, but that wasn't saying much considering John B was practically holed up inside Kiara's car all night, ducking any time anyone drove by. Hidden out, they had nothing better to do than listen to the radio and Norman was getting really sick of it.

"Good news for residents of Outer Banks," the broadcaster spoke through the car radio, "Dominion power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area, should be functional within 24 hours."

"About time," John B muttered, but it was interrupted by the sound of a siren blaring getting closer and closer. JJ kept an eye out while the other boys kept their heads down, both police cars whizzing by without a second glance.

The broadcaster continued, "And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile-"

Kie reached forward and turned the radio off. Norman sighed as a heavy silence cast itself over the people in the vehicle. It was packed and in the summer heat, it was worse, but Norman knew this was what was safest for John B at the moment.

JJ was the first to break the silence, saying, "Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So, the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is pretty much... a homeless sixteen-year-old boy at the moment."

"Thanks," John b muttered.

"JJ, that's not really helping," Norman mumbled in response, "I can always set you up with my dad's lawyers if worse comes to worst."

"Ideally, he doesn't get caught," Kie added, "But thank you, Rocky."

"Shit," Pope muttered from the backseat, "I can't believe this... this is a real conversation we have to have. Fuck Ward Cameron, man."

"Okay, man," JJ spoke again, "Yucatan, right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?"

John B sighed, "Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah can bail me out."

"She did witness the whole thing," the girl affirmed, "I know she would vouch for you."

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope added with a pessimistic tone.

Alisha scoffed, "If Rafe was my brother, I sure fucking would. That guy's a creep."

JJ sat up, exhaling the smoke from the blunt in his mouth, saying, "Not happening, bro, okay? We've gotta get you off this island."