39. The Greater Good

THIRTY-NINE THE GREATER GOOD

◥✥◤

After an increasingly frustrating interview with the police where Norman tried to get them to see the truth (to no avail), Norman was let go. By the time he stepped outside the police station, the sun was rising. He had a text from Alisha from the previous night telling him that she was going to bed and they were all staying at the Wreck over the night. He sighed and began jogging in that direction. It seemed as he knocked on the door everyone was just waking up as it took a while before JJ opened the door, looking groggy.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" JJ asked with a grumble, rubbing sleep from his eyes as Norman entered the restaurant. Alisha was sitting with her feet on the table, scrolling through her phone when she realized who it was. Her face lit up as she ran towards the boy, hugging him. Without a second thought, he picked her up and swung her around in a hug before putting her back on the ground and letting go.

"Oh, my God, Rocky! What happened? Why are you here?" the girl asked, surprisingly energetic for the early hour. God, he could sleep for a week after this.

"They thought John B took me as a hostage for some reason so I was the distraction so John B could get away," Norman explained as briefly as possible, "And... I feel like shit for leaving him."

Kie came up to them with her hands on her hips, shaking her head at him as she comforted, "You did what kept him safe and that matters more. You did what you had to."

"I know, it just sucks," the boy sighed, running his hands through his short hair. Alisha looked up at him with pity in her eyes so he rushed to change the subject, "Have you called Lila or any of the others to let them know what's happening?"

The girl nodded, "Yeah, Lila called me last night asking where I was and I told her what was happening. It's been radio silence from the others, I think Lila mentioned something about Gemma and James... but I don't know. I feel so disconnected from them and it's only been a couple of days, it's insane."

"After this is all over," he said like it was going to be easy, "we'll hang out and we'll pretend this never happened, okay?"

"Something tells me that's not gonna happen," Pope interrupted with a sigh as he walked over where JJ was standing by the window. The sound of sirens passed them by.

"He's pinched for sure, man," JJ spoke worriedly, his eyes glued to the view from the window.

Pope shook his head, "No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him. Besides, Rocky, last you saw him, he was fine, right?"

Norman nodded, "As far as I know they got away."

"They?" Kie asked with a raised eyebrow.

The boy nodded again, "Sarah's with him, she came to help us and got caught up so she ran with him. I don't know where they are now."