Chapter 2

You exhaled, not letting him see how relieved you were.

"What would it be, Mr. Jeon?"

He crossed his arms over his chest and closed his eyes for a moment.

"I'd like you to marry me."

You blinked.

And then you turned around and opened the door to get out. 

You couldn't, though, as he grabbed your arm and held you back. 

He closed the door.

"I'm really sorry, Mr. Jeon, but I think you should think about it a little longer."

Your first instinct was to assume he was drunk. 

Very drunk, maybe. 

As if he read your mind, he said: "Please hear me out, I'm not drunk."

He was still holding your upper arm. When he noticed that, he let go. 

"I'm sorry."

You nodded, then subtly straightened your shirt. 

"I know we don't know each other and trust me, it's not something I take lightly either. My bri-", he paused, noticing he was wrong, "The person who I was supposed to marry called it off. Apparently, she's already on a plane to Saipan and not on her way here."

In hindsight, Hoseok was right about the bride not being on the island. 

"I can't call the wedding off, it would be a disaster."

You silently agreed. 

"But I also can't hire anyone to do this, they wouldn't make it in time."

He was right, again. 

That's why you don't bring your 'wife' half an hour before the wedding on an island that is three hours away from civilization.

"There are two reporters outside. They only know that my wife is named Park and you're the only one with the same name that is the same age as I."

That explained why he wanted you specifically. 

"I don't know, Mr. Jeon. It's a very delicate matter and I don't think the people are stupid enough to believe it."

You wondered what kind of relationship he had with his previous girlfriend if he was willing to replace her that easily. 

"Plus, I'm not even prepared for anything, I don't know the vows and I have no ring."

"That can be solved in no time."

You wanted to say that you weren't about to marry some random guy you just met when he told you a sum. 

A huge sum, to be more precise. 

Now it would be a lie to say you didn't consider it. 

"You just have to take the vows and pose for the press for a week or so before everything cools off. Then we can get a private and discreet divorce. I can offer you more. As long as you agree."

This was your chance. He practically was showering you with opportunities. 

"I want a position in your company", you said. 

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. A position in your company, five years contract. And the money, of course."

"I hardly believe you are qualified for that", he scoffed.

"I have a major, but I need the experience. Your company would be perfect for my future résumées."

And you needed the job to pay for your mom's therapy.

"Still, as someone with no experience, you don't stand out from other candidates and-"

"Five year's contract, take it or leave it."

You both looked at each other and you expected him to deny your request, but then he sighed and put his hands in his pockets. 

"Fine. I'll tell you where you can send in your application and I'll send you the paperwork in the following days. I need you to sign a contract, though."

"What kind of contract?"

"I need to be sure that you keep all of this confidential and you need to be sure that I'll pay you."

Sounds... professional. 

"Alright."

This was probably not your best life decision, but at the end of the day your fantasy from this morning came true and you got the job. 

And a husband, but details don't matter.

He went over to the bedside table and opened his laptop. "You should take off your vest and the nametag before the make-up artist arrives. I don't want anyone to get suspicious."

You did as he said and unpinned the plastic tag. You put it in the pocket of your vest and just as you were about to ask what you should do with it, he stood up and held his hand open so you gave it to him. Then he walked over to the wardrobe and opened the door. 

He placed it on the top shelf, as far in the back as possible. 

In a way, it was like he got rid of your true identity.