Chapter 41

On your way back, you noticed that Jungkook was way more careful around you than usual. And you appreciated it. 

An incoming call had you rummaging through your pockets to find your phone. It was Jisung. 

Shit. 

You still had no idea what to tell your parents about why you left. After all, you couldn't just go about and say that Woojin was an asshole, even though it was true. Still, you picked up the call. 

"Where the hell are you?"

"Keep talking like that and I'm going to hit you when I see you next time", you replied. "I had to leave."

"Why?"

You took a deep breath. After debating for a moment over what to say, you decided it was for the best if you told him the truth. 

"Woojin is an asshole."

Jisung was quiet on the other side of the line. You knew he wasn't going to ask what he did. He believed you. "Where are you right now? I'll pick you up."

"It's fine, I'm with Jungkook. Can you think of something to tell mom? I really don't know what to tell her, I don't want her to feel bad about it."

"Sure, don't worry about it."

You wanted to hang up as you really weren't feeling like talking anymore, but it sounded like Jisung was about to say something.

"Do you also want me to tell her that you're engaged to your 'friend' or do you want to do it yourself?"

Jungkook must've heard it since he turned his head towards you for a moment.

"How did you find that out?"

"Are you kidding me? Your face is all over bangtan.com, I literally just had to look your boyfriend's name up. How long do you think it would've taken me to find out?"

Damn, that's what you got for showing him the website. "Can you keep this between us?"

"Why? If you tell mom you're engaged, she won't set you up with people anymore."

"It's... complicated. I'll tell you some other time. Thanks for not telling her."

"You didn't even invite me to the wedding, you traitor". You laughed at his offended tone. "But I don't mind it, you looked ugly in that dress anyway."

Under any other circumstances, you would've told him to shut up, but somehow, you found it hilarious. Maybe because you had no choice when it came to the dress. 

"Ok but seriously, why didn't you tell anyone that you were going to get married? I'm sure mom wouldn't have minded Jungkook. I mean, I don't mind him."

Of course he didn't mind him, they both liked Iron Man after all. 

"I know. Let's talk about this some other time."

After mumbling something that sounded very close to 'Sure, bye', he hung up. 

It didn't take long until you were back home. 

"Are you okay? Do you want to talk about what happened?" Jungkook asked as soon the door fell shut behind him. 

You shook your head. "I'm fine, but I really don't want to talk about it. Thanks for coming back though, I don't know what could've happened if you didn't."

"Anytime."

"How did you know though? And how did you get in? The door was locked."

"I was talking to Yoongi on my way back and I mentioned the guy's name. Yoongi was familiar with it and looked him up. Let's just say he's a fraud and doesn't live up to the stories he tells. I tried calling you to see if everything's alright, but when you didn't answer, I called your brother and asked if there's a spare key. I put it back again."

That made much more sense now. Your eyes were suddenly stinging, so you just nodded at his explanation. "See you around" was all you could say before turning around so he wouldn't see you crying again. 

After you closed the door to your room, you tried to breathe through and calm down. This time, it actually worked. The amount of effort that Jungkook put into finding out if you're okay made you feel something weird. Hoseok would've done that too, but that's because you were friends and you would've trusted him with your life. Jungkook and you were practically strangers. Strangers that knew each other a bit too well and acted like a married couple. Complicated strangers.

When you calmed down, you called Hoseok to tell him what happened, this time without letting a single tear slip. 

"Would you feel better if you came over for a drink?" he asked after you told him the whole story.

You laughed at his proposal. Getting drunk didn't seem that bad of an idea. "Probably. But it's already late and I'm way too lazy." You later hung up and got up to shower. 

After you got out, your hunger was starting to make itself noticeable again. You might've eaten ice cream, but you skipped lunch and it was already evening. You decided to go downstairs and make yourself something to eat with whatever you could find in Jungkook's pantry. When you opened the door to go downstairs, you noticed the smell of food. And it didn't smell like takeout either. Did Jungkook cook? No, that couldn't be, could it? He didn't have the time for that, after all.

To your surprise, your nose was right. You caught Jungkook in the middle of taking a pan off the stove. 

"I was about to ask you if you were hungry", he said as soon as he noticed your presence. You didn't know how to respond. "Soo, are you hungry?"

You nodded and he gestured for you to sit down.