[20]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

back in the cave it seems

Shuffling down the jagged rock seemed to get easier every time Angeline and the boys slipped into the cave. Sitting quite cramped in the small space, the girl was lumped between Steven and Charlie, both who were trying to get her to smoke a pipe.

"C'mon Ang! You smoke pot, but draw the line at pipes?" The girl shook her head lightly at the auburn-haired boy and turned away from the smoke. Letting go of Steven's hand, she slid closer to Knox, who seemed to be the only one not smoking at the time.

"Come on Knox, join in," Charlie jeered from the other side of the cave. Frowning slightly from Angeline's abrupt movement, Steven joined in the teasing of the somber boy.

"Yeah, Knox, we're from the government. We're here to help, man."

The girl looked at the boy in question, who was holding his head down low. Hitting his shoulder affectionately and smiling at him when he looked up, the two rolled their eyes in unison.

"It's Chris. Here's a picture of Chris for you." Pitts shoved a centerfold into Knox's face. Angeline quickly batted it away.

"That's not funny."

"Knock it off. Smoke your pipes." Charlie's statement silenced the group, all of them focusing back on their original tasks. These tasks were interrupted by Neil, who jovially climbed into the cave carrying what seemed to be a beat up lamp of some sort.

"Friend, scholar, Welton men and woman." Setting down the object in a nondescript corner of their space, Neil settled down in his seat.

"What is that, Neil?"

"It's a lamp Meeks." Angeline snickered at the sarcastic remark, causing the glasses clad boy to look at her in fake betrayal. Holding his arms out wide, he motioned for the girl to return back to her original seat. Rolling her eyes, she squeezed back into the small space, one of her legs thrown over Steven's. He turned to her and smiled bashfully, taking hold of her thigh and squeezing slightly. Smiling back at him, the girl clasped their hands together.

Their moment was interrupted by Charlie, who started to make loud and rather annoying noises with a saxophone he had pulled out of nowhere.