TWENTY-THREE

CHAPTER 23
Nyx's POV

The crack of my bones was heard by everyone surrounding me, the wind made sure they did as it carried the daunting sound. The twisting, the elongation; every thing including the rapid beat of my caged heart. Everything in me painfully realigned.

I didn't miss the short-lived wave of shock that seemed to cover my mate as I trembled and lost my coherence.

This shift has to be the most painful, and considering that I don't often shift to this form I will never get used it. So each time I shift into her, I will experience the same feel.

My gums elongate, sharpen and increase in size; making me look more monster than anything.

Once I've shifted I release a primal guttural sound which is the sound of relief. She's relieved to be in front. In control. And she will bask in it. In the depths of my mind my beast pushes me to the back of my mind, "Let her be." Elena speaks but I do not listen. It will end in tears. Sadly, the more I fight her the harder she pushes me away, scratching the surfaces of my mind and causing an aching at the center of my head.

I'm glad I haven't been attacked, this would be a good moment to take me down.

Alas, I embrace the shift, feeling as my strength returns to me tenfold and the wound on my shoulder no longer aching. On two feet I stand straight with golden eyes that'd put summer's sun to shame. My form is bigger than a lyncan's.

One snarl and the other wolves shudder backing up, but they don't run... My beast is considered extinct. But anything is possible in the magic world.

Reeking of dominance and power, I feel my aura weighing heftily on everyone's around me. My head turns to my mate's direction, feeling glad to find that he's already staring at me although with no emotion of reaction on his face. But his eyes- oh his eyes know that this is no longer just his mate but something more feral. For a second I wonder what's going in his head but as fast as that thought comes I disregard it.

My beast is intrigued by the man in front of her, and her intrigue makes her move closer to him. Not realizing the connection betwixt us at all. He doesn't shift away in discomfort, it makes a constellation of stars beam along my spine, the sizzling sparks running along. He looks at us just as we look at him, I'm angry at my beast for doing this but at the same time I understand, she's inhuman.

Goddess knows I do not want to be anywhere near him.

Forcing her to stray her gaze from him I look to the wolves and immediately advance, at this form I don't need his help.

They weren't that many, the werewolves. Two aim for my feet but I'm faster so they miss and a kick sends both of them to the closest trees. Overtaken by fury and bloodlust my eyes and thoughts become a jumbled mess and the beast inside me finally takes the reigns.

Both of us see red.

She sees red, lusting for it.

Like usual, I lose sense of what I'm doing and I do what I'm programmed to do, kill.

($)

I feel numb... A feeling I haven't experienced since I first had my werewolf shift in twelve years.

It's painful to even open my eyes.

Prying then open I'm met with white, the beaming brightness causing me to groan in annoyance and shut my eyes as soon as they opened.

It causes a wave of nausea to wash over me, but I don't throw up.

Forcing myself to adjust to the brightness abusing my sight I open them again, slowly this time, then inspect my surroundings.