39 | She's Pretty

Chapter Thirty Nine: She's Pretty.

"I'm sure you're very pleased with yourself," Stephanie says in lieu of a greeting at she joins Brooke at their usual table in the cafeteria.
She hasn't been able to see Brooke since she got to school in the morning since they don't share any classes together today.

"Is that how to greet your best friend that you're seeing for the first time today?" Brooke smirks, folding her arms across her chest.

"It's just the new way I greet best friends that are trying to play cupid," Steph retorts with a pointed look.
Brooke seems unfazed by the look Steph's giving her. Instead, she grins and takes a bite out of her sandwich.

"Why didn't you pick me up today?"

"I sent Chris to pick you up," Brooke says it as if it's only normal and happens every time. She says it like she's casually telling somebody about today's weather.

"Why did you do that?" Steph asks in exasperation. Brooke's attitude towards it isn't really helping matters right now. She's acting like Steph and Chris have been best friends since like forever.

"Cause I didn't drive my car to school today," Brooke deadpans.

Confusion spreads on Steph's face. "Why?"

"Cole picked me up today." Brooke announces smugly.

"Oh." Steph frowns, thinking about how they might have decided to always come to school together as a couple.

Brooke, as if reading Steph's mind smiles. "It won't be happening everyday. Even though he suggested it, I didn't agree to it because of you. It's sisters before misters, girl. I will continue to pick you up for school, okay?"

Steph sighs in relief. "Thank God. I thought I'd have to walking to school till you guys break up, or even worse - ride with Christopher."

"Cole and I are not breaking up anytime soon so don't even think about that. And I still don't understand what you have against Chris. I understand that you hate his Playboy lifestyle but other than that, is there another reason you resent him? Is there something you're not telling me? Seriously, you need to help me understand," Brooke says with a serious look on her face.

"I don't resent him, B. And I have nothing against him. He's just not my favourite person to spend time with and as you said, I hate how he does girls like play things." Steph answers.

"Seriously baby girl, you need to ignore that part of him. We all have our bad sides. You said it yourself that he's a good guy - fuck, I wish I recorded that."

Steph laughs because of the last part and the look on Brooke's face.

"Wait, has he ever made an inappropriate comment or ever tried to flirt with you?"

Steph shakes her head. "None that I know of."

"I can vividly remember you saying that he might be after you to hook up with you or something along that line. It had been weeks now and he hasn't even tried to flirt with you. He hasn't even talked about the damn kiss you guys shared so please just stop. Stop acting like you hate him or something." Brooke asserts, using the tone a mother would use to reprimand a child that misbehaves.

Before Steph can think of a reply, Cole slides in beside Brooke.

"Hey Babe," he says with a grin on his face.

Brooke's face lit up like a child's when opening a present. She turns to him and coos. "Honey bear. I missed you."
Their lips meet and they begin to kiss.

Steph covers her face with her palms.
"Can you guys not suck each other's faces off while I'm sitting in front of you?" Steph groans, not at all enjoying their display of affection.