chapter fifteen

chapter fifteen, to clear a mind

SHE HAD SOON DRIFTED OFF to sleep after her departure from the drawing room

SHE HAD SOON DRIFTED OFF to sleep after her departure from the drawing room. Thoughts raced through her head as she said aloud the title of that damn newspaper about three hundred times. She hadn't cried about it, she barely ever did cry which was quite the opposite from when she was a baby, her mother said she cried every second of the day. Maybe she had cried out a lifetime supply of tears, although when she did cry, which was quite rare even if she were the epitome of distraught.

She had cried when her father died, she had cried for a month straight.

She didn't cry for when William had left home, nor when she had realised that her grandmother had not only killed her father but was on the hunt to kill her brother and she didn't cry when the man she had been longing for got married off to some other woman she had never met.

Or...maybe it was that lady from the ball, of course. But where was she when the two almost kissed. Or had Emilia dreamed the whole scenario up as a cruel joke that Sherlock Holmes did not want her and never will.

She hadn't even been invited.

That was the worst part, she had decided. She had thought they were close, or was that another thought she had put into her brain all on her own? She decided she would never pine after a man no more, she was done. If she were to see Sherlock Holmes again, her heart would not race and the butterflies in her stomach would be no longer there. She was over it and she would now move on with her life and meet another young man who made her feel that exact same way and they would get married and move to the countryside in a large stately home with vast gardens and have children and look after each other as she decided she would keep on making dresses as she enjoyed it so and he would continue solving crimes and cases...oh. She felt her heart drop at the realisation it would take longer than she planned for herself to forget the feelings she still felt for that damn detective.

That morning, she was already awake and sitting by her vanity, still in her pale pink dressing gown when Jane came bundling into the room. Emilia noticed Jane barely ever knocked during her stay at the estate. "So, today I have planned a whole day trip for the two of us and then we will be joined by Dorian and Evan at the Opera House to watch the opera Tristan and Isolde." She said happily. Jane decided last night all through to this morning she would not bring up the topic of Sherlock Holmes and at least try to get Emilia's mind elsewhere.

She had planned a full day of picnics, tea with madam Pince and even more dress shopping and fabric to get for Emilia's dress project at home. Then, tonight she would have the night out and dress her amazingly so she could have a spectacular time at the opera.

IT WAS SOON LATE, and Jane and Emilia were exhausted for the opera ahead. It was opening night of Tristan and Isolde, an opera that had been around for years but opening in London for the first time, meaning that there would be a party before and after to congratulate the actors. Jane had brought up five maids for the girl, which Emilia thought aloud would be far too many for just the two of them but Jane decided against and kept on her trail up the staircase to one of the biggest living rooms was upstairs where there dresses were already held.