Chapter TWENTY

Kirby Carter

You stand there, alone in the Hunter's office, eyes shifting back and forth between the CIA file on the desk, and the door..

On the one hand.. You're absolutely dying to read it.. DYING!

But on the other hand, that wouldn't be the best way to start building trust in this very fragile agreement you've been working on with The Viking.. A silent war wages in your mind for several seconds..

No.. You make a snap decision.. No you won't read it..

The fewer reasons you give Paxton to be suspicious of you the better..

Instead you distract yourself, circling the room, looking at the hundreds of books in his collection.. Classics, biographies, encyclopedias and every other kind of book you could imagine line the office walls..

The Viking obviously likes a little of everything..

You almost snort with laughter when you come across a thick leather bound book, entitled 'A history of Norse Mythology'..

Of course..

Peeling the book carefully from the shelf you begin flicking through the pages, crossing to sink back into the leather armchair.. Admiring the beautifully hand sketched viking symbols you trace the lines, curiously..

You're so enraptured in the pages, you don't notice anybody enter the room until a sweet, soft mousy voice squeaks, making you jump with a gasp.. "Um.. Hi?.."

"Oh!" You snap the book shut and spring to your feet.. "Hi!"

A young woman, darling faced, petite and pixie-like, about the same age as your sister stands meekly by the door, twisting her tiny hands together nervously as she watches you cautiously.. "I'm Kirby.."

She smiles shyly.. "I know.." Her sandy blond hair falls over half her face and she peers at you with one gorgeous blue-grey eye.. "I'm Lacey.. Hunter's sister.."

Well now, that is a surprise.. You hadn't even for a second stopped to think of Hunter Paxton as the kind of guy who has a sister.. Or a family..

Actually, you hadn't really considered him as anything other than the guy who was going to ruin your life.. You wince internally at your own short sightedness..

"I'm sorry, I thought he'd be here.."

You give Lacey a friendly smile.. She seems like a sweet girl and you have no idea how much she knows about her brother.. Or you.. "He is.. He and Patrick just stepped out for a minute.. I'm sure they'll be back any second now.."

She twists her hands together again, hesitating by the door, looking like she might run.. "You could wait with me if you like?.." You gesture to the chairs..

She narrows her eyes on you, but still crosses to sit in the chair opposite you.. "You're like.. really beautiful.. You know that? Are you dating my brother?"

You laugh.. While she is awfully cute, she's also not afraid to be direct..

You like her..

"Oh! Well I think you're beautiful too Lacey! But about your brother.. That's.. Um.. Difficult to say.. If you pressed me for an answer I'd have to put it somewhere between 'no' and 'kind of'.."

She lifts a hand to her mouth to hide a grin and a giggle.. "Yep.. That sounds about right.. He definitely likes to make things complicated.."

You grin.. She has no idea how right she is.. "That he does.. It's a good thing he has such a sweet and sensible sister like you around to advise him.. Do you.. Work here too?"