The Loint House

A short horror story about the mystery of a haunted house that is belong to The Loint family in the middle of pine trees

Welcome, come on in.
Our door will always welcome you.
Adorn the thin niches that were left in your heart.
Answers to the emptiness of death of times.
Our door will always welcome you.
Ready to embrace each curious hands.
Come here, don't hesitate.
Ignore the pseudo black shadow.
And when the door closed,
there will be no other door to escape.

Since childhood, mom always told me about the big old house surrounded by tall pine trees in the forest. The house called the Loint House because a long time ago there was a family called Loint who lived there. The house is known as the eerie haunted house. The Loints themselves, not many people know them. What I heard was that the Loint family was exiled by society because they were suspected of having the contagious bubonic plague. No one knew about their fate; die slowly in that house or even left somewhere. Many adults and children came to that place, either because they got lost or just out of curiosity. They none of them would come back, disappear into the thin air. Forgotten by time. That was how the invisible ban on the Loint's House exists.

"Remember, honey, don't play outside when sunset comes. Especially don't play too far or anywhere near the pine forest. Do you understand?"

I could only nod, though sometimes I would look far towards the top of the roof of the Loint House. The roof was grayish-black, and that was all I could see. Sometimes, I often felt curious about that house. The Loint House didn't look spooky as Dracula's castle from the book, Frankenstein's creepy lab, or a haunted house like the one in horror movies. The Loint House, it did seem mysterious and gloomy, actually. However, it gave me an odd unusual shiver of curiosity in me. I looked away quickly from the window as soon as I heard the voices of my friends shout cheerfully calling my name. Immediately, the curiosity that was in me disappeared. I ran to my room to get the soccer ball I got from Dad on my seventh birthday last year then excitedly go down the stairs. I heard Mom yelled at me from the kitchen, told me to be careful and make sure to go back home before dusk. Me and my friends went towards an empty field near the pine forest. The tree trunks stretched wide made them look like witches large hands, surrounded the fort's fence. As if to warn us that we should never cross pass them. The field where we played at was not overgrown with grass that always made us go home full of dust. We were close neighbors, even though there were only five of us yet we played a lot together. There was no other choice. Children from another block prefer to play by themselves with a box full of buttons while staring at the television. As for the children in my area, none of us have such a fancy game like that. But it wasn't a problem for us, as we enjoy playing soccer, kite, or hide and seek, which of course we would do that together.

In the middle of the game, not sure why I tilted my head to the sky and I frowned. A while ago the sky was still bright blue and now suddenly the grey clouds creep out slowly as if removing the bluish light above our heads.