The Oath of A Queen

A power for power, a curse for a curse

In a faraway land when humans ruled by Kings and Queens along with other creatures. The Kingdom for each Kings and Queens were peaceful but sorrowful for their people. The Kings and Queens would loot their properties and forced them to live in poverty.
In a small village, not too far with one of the kingdom, lived a little girl all by herself in a small hut. Her name is Reine. Her hut placed near a dark cave where The Demons nested. Reine would hear their voices every night, lured her to come to their cave. Most of the time Reine would ignore them even though she's scared.
Until one night, Reine couldn't bear her hungry stomach any longer. She became too weak to move, and she couldn't find any little food on the streets or anywhere. She laid down on the ground, her tears fell in silence, and wished for a miracle.
Then she heard familiar voices from the cave and this time it was different.
This time the voice was louder and more alluring than usual. As if it gave new strength to Reine to forced her to move.
She crawled with both of her hands since her legs are too weak to move. The more she moved closer to the cave, the weaker she became. Her legs were wounded from the rough ground, stones, and branches around the cave's mouth. Reine gritted her teeth and held the tears of pain. When she reached the edge of the cave's mouth, she started losing her consciousness. She could hear whispers and small laughs came closer to her.

"You indeed have a strong will."
"You will become a great pawn."
"There is nothing to be feared."
"No one could defy you."
"You will become the Kingless Queen of Kings and Queens."
"The only one."

Reine's eyes fluttered close as her senses faded. The Demons carried her body and took off her dirty clothes. They bathed her in a thick black pond. They cleaned her, brushed her hair, and dressed her up in a shiny golden gown studded with sparkling gemstones. The Demons breathed their spell and sorcery through her body.

"We know your desire. Your deepest desire."
"Anger."
"Greed."
"Disappointment."
"Sadness."
"Tainted."
"Distrust."
"Betray."
"Envy."
"Grudge."
"Injustice."
"Hunger."
"Poverty."
"Downfall."
"Cold."
"Tears."
"Rage."
"Pride."

"Death."

Reine couldn't move a muscle but she could hear them crystal clear. All the memories when she lost her parents since she was little, fed by other villagers who took pity on her, scared whether she could see another day or not every time she went to bed. The Demons offered her a chance. It sounds very tempting indeed.

"If you agree, we only need one thing from you."
Only one thing? How could it be? Reine tried to grasp everything she heard. If The Demons only need one thing from her, then it's a good offer.
"Good girl. So, do you agree?"
Reine nodded and tried to open her heavy and tired eyes.
She saw many scary and fearsome creatures with different types of horns surround her with gruesome grins. But there was a different one amongst others. The One without horns and he looked almost angelic with creamy skin, wavy dark silky hair, playful yet mysterious smile. The One with Third Eye on his forehead, and burned white wings. Everything about him screams power and trickery. Reine felt lost into his eyes until she gazed something on his hands. A golden crown that looks very sublime and magnificent.
Reine looked back at The One and without hesitation, she nodded.

"I agree."
The One smiled with scheming glints on his eyes.
"Very well."

The One came closer to Reine and put the crown on her head. And quickly Reine felt something pierced her head and her entire body in terrible pain. She didn't understand, all she could feel was the burning sensation on every inch from head to toe.

"You shall rule in great power and not one any living being on earth could defy or go against your words. You will rule along the covenant written on this crown. And the only thing WE want...is your soul."

Reine screamed at the top of her lungs as the pain reached her very essential inside. Her heart, her mind, her life, even her unspoken future flashes through her like falling stars.

"The world belongs to you. And you belong to us."

Reine opened her in horror and realization came upon her in late. She already sold her soul to The Demons.

"I will become The Kingless Queen of Kings and Queens and rule. Grant me power for I will create a new world."
"Long live the queen!"

|
So, The Great Queen Reine ruled for a very long time in sorrow and despair. And in her resentment, she ruled with iron fists and armies of dark creatures as if Hell cast on earth. No one indeed could defeat The Great Queen Reine. And she could never repel her own oath to The Demons.

THE END

©KartikaSariMahyuddin