chapter twenty-eight

It's nighttime and Sam is sitting in the passenger seat of the Impala with Evie asleep on his lap. He's reading a book with a flashlight while Dean is inside the motel room.

It's been a week since Dean sold his soul and Sam somewhat explained it to Evie so now she knows that her dad did die and her uncle doesn't have a soul.

They weren't going to tell her that Dean would die in one year because she's 3 and doesn't need that on her plate, but she overheard Sam and Dean talking about it when she was going to get Sam after a nightmare, but they didn't notice her standing there for part of their conversation until she asked if Dean was going to die.

Sam gently explained that Dean was going to go away in a year because of selling his soul, but she thinks Dean's going to go where Jess is since they aren't going to tell her he'll be in Hell.

Sam looks up as Dean walks into the window frame. He grins giving his younger brother a double thumbs up and Sam shakes his head, smiling fondly. A girl walks up and Dean closes the curtains.

Sam's phone rings and he answers it.

"Hello." Sam greets.

"Hey, Sam." Bobby greets.

"Hey, Bobby." Sam says, keeping his voice somewhat quiet so he doesn't wake Evie up.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Oh, same old, same old."

"You buried in that book again? Sam, you want to break Dean free of that demon deal, you ain't gonna find the answer in no book."

"Then where, Bobby?" Sam asks.

"Kid, I wish I knew. So where's your brother?" Bobby asks.

"Polling the electorate." Sam says.

"What?"

"Nevermind."

"Well, you boys better pack it up. I think I finally found something."

+++

It's the next morning and Dean pulls up outside of a farmhouse. Dean gets out, eating a burger. Sam gets Evie out of her car seat, letting her hold her dog and bottle of grape juice.

"Hear those cicadas?" Sam asks.

"That can't be a good sign." Dean says.

"No. No, it can't." Sam says.

"So, we're eating cheeseburgers for breakfast, are we?" Bobby asks, walking up to them.

"Well, I sold my soul. Got a year to live. I ain't sweating the cholesterol." Dean says.

"So, Bobby, what do you think? We got a biblical plague here or what?" Sam asks.

"Well, let's find out. Looks like the swarm's ground zero." Bobby says. They walk up to the house and Dean pounds on the door.

"Candygram!" He shouts. After waiting for a bit, Dean picks the lock and opens the door, only for the four people to cover their noses in disgust.