3. 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲

iii

iii. fine line

When morning shone through the white clouds that blanketed the sky, Nova woke with a heavy weight of guilt weighing on her shoulders. She hardly slept at all last night because her brain wouldn't turn off. Thinking about Sarah, and how she must think that Nova betrayed her. Also, about John B, which she willed herself not to, but it didn't stop her from feeling guilty for aiding in his job loss, even though she was innocent on that front.

After Nova's long and drawn-out speech about how much John B. is ruining her summer, Penny, Nova's Lovey, concluded that there was something between the two of them. Though, of course, neither of them knew it yet. Because the universe was behind it all. It was fate that kept bringing them together.

"There's a lot of passion there, between the two of you," her Lovey had whispered.

Nova's eyebrows furrowed, confused. Hadn't she just explained to her Lovey that all the two of them do is argue and insult one another? "Lovey, we hate each other."

"Passion is tricky. It sits on a fine line of love and hate."

Nova also sometimes believed her Lovey to be insane. But the idea was just absurd enough to stick with Nova.

While lying in bed, avoiding the morning sun that crept behind her drawn curtains, Nova began thinking about the boy that she continuously claimed she felt nothing for. She thought how absurd it was for her Lovey to suggest that she explore her feelings for this boy. It'd be impossible. They have nothing in common; all they'd do is fight. They'd never be able to be anything more than what they were now. What that was, Nova wasn't sure.

In an attempt to help with her sour mood, Nova had put herself in a dress when she finally decided to pull herself from the tempting covers. It was a yellow slip dress. It matched the yellow stripes on the bathing suit she'd pulled on before the dress, not knowing if she'd end up near water or not. Living on an island, it was common to just end up at a beach.

While braiding the second half of her hair, Nova's phone lit up on her vanity shelf, and Sarah's name shone across the screen. Nova's stomach tightened and she hesitated on picking up the phone. But feeling guilty enough already, she did. And opened the text.