4. 𝘄𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗻 𝘀𝘂𝗴𝗮𝗿

iv

iv. watermelon sugar

On the road again. The first glimpse of the sun had just started to peek over the horizon, casting a warm orange and red hue across the cloudless sky and empty roads. The old, rickety truck revved to life that morning, shaking only a little when Pope pressed on the gas. Yawns sounded in the early morning and the bored and tired Nova watched the morning dew drops race down the glass-paned window.

Heat came with the first glimpses of the morning sun. An annoying, dry heat. Nova had taken off her crewneck when the heat of daybreak and being tightly squished began to get to her. The soft, cotton material sat draped over her bruised legs, covering the same skirt and cropped polo shirt she had worn yesterday. She shifted uncomfortably at the thought. Nova wasn't used to re-wearing her clothes.

When getting ready that morning, Nova also cringed uncomfortably when she had to share a stick of deodorant with Kiara. It had come from the old bag that she always carried on her shoulders. But it wasn't like Nova could deny it. She had no other options. She also had to argue with Pope to pull over at the nearest gas station so that Nova could buy herself a toothbrush and toothpaste. Kiara had also gone in to buy the same thing as her. Pope had brought his own. JJ was going to be left without.

Except when Nova finished rinsing her mouth with an unopened bottle of warm water that was found on the floor of Pope's truck, JJ reached out, asking for her toothbrush. She was made to cringe again when he, without thought, began brushing his own teeth with her already used toothbrush.

The rest of the night had passed Nova and JJ without trouble. They just went to sleep. But the tension had followed them into the morning. It hung thickly over the truck. Though, Nova wasn't sure it was just the tension between her and JJ that lingered.

Pope and Kiara weren't talking. Although they'd share glances every so often. It was similar between JJ and Nova. They hadn't said more than five words to one another. JJ had pushed himself against the door to try and avoid any contact with Nova at all. Biting her lip, Nova tried not to be so affected by that.