2. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗮𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝘅𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲

ii

ii. the bane of her existence

Days later and she was still camping out in the Camerons's yacht. Most of the island was still without air conditioning. Nova's house one of those places. Even Nolan couldn't bear the heat of their home any longer and checked himself into a room at the country club which was running on multiple generators to keep their members happy.

Sleeping on a boat was more comfortable than one would think. Especially if the boat was a yacht. It wasn't like braving under the open sky and surrounded by the open waters. The yacht was just a small house inside a really big boat. There was a bathroom, three bedrooms, and a full kitchen that they had to themselves. And air conditioning.

Usually, Nova would wake in a bedroom with Sarah since they've been bunking together in the master room. Sharing the King-sized bed. But Sarah had gone to bed early and Nova stayed awake in the living room, watching tv until her eyes wouldn't stay open anymore. She ended up passing out on the couch. And woke to the sound of clanking metal falling to the floor.

"You're not a Cameron," yawned Nova, blinking to let her eyes adjust to the light pouring in from the open door.

Once again, John B. Routledge stood before her. This time carrying Ward Cameron's scuba gear. Nova looked at the clearly empty tanks then back up to John B.

"Uh, yeah, you are correct," he said nervously.

He was careful to keep his voice low, knowing that wherever Nova Scott was, Sarah Cameron wouldn't be far away.

"What're you doing here this early?"

"I'm dropping off some scuba gear," he nodded toward the tanks that he'd let tumble onto the floor. "What ─ I mean, what're you doing here?"

"Uhm, sleeping," said Nova.

Her eyebrows raised suspiciously.

"Right, yeah, of course," John B. quietly cursed himself for asking such a stupid question.

Nova nodded toward the tanks, "Are those the tank you took the other day?" Quickly, John B. bent down to pick them up off the ground. "Did you get them topped off?"