8. 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗺𝗲

viii

viii. you all over me

The dew-covered morning sent a chill breeze through the balcony doors that sit open. It twisted and tangled the light curtains. A warm glow ran through the creaks of the open door cascading across the dyed wood floor laden with rugs and unkept clothes from the days past.

Baby blue cotton draped across the body that had been kissed by the sun and where droplets of water clung. She stood, head resting tiredly -- lazily on the doorframe, looking into the endless abyss of the closet before her.

A sigh escaped Nova's pink and still-swollen lips. She grabbed the first items of clothing that seemed to match and slammed her closet door shut again. She dressed quickly and then did her hair even faster, so the two buns on the top of her head looked like an absolute mess. Almost like palm trees.

She caught a glance at her unmade bed behind her while staring into the mirror. 

He'd gone before the sun had even come up. She knew he was leaving when she heard rustling later that night. Searching for his thrown clothes in the dark. He didn't know she was awake. And Nova gave no reason for him to think that she was. Not even opening her eyes. She listened as he walked softly toward her balcony doors then stopped, suddenly, his footsteps sounded on the hardwood again, this time coming closer to her side of the bed. She squeezed her eyes tightly closed and bundled deep into her duvet. And without even opening her eyes, Nova could feel him beside of her. Standing right at the edge of her bed. She heard his breath at her ear just a moment before his lips pressed firmly to the cool skin of her forehead. And for a few passing seconds, he stayed there. The shock of this nearly drew Nova from her fake slumber. But before she could react his lips lifted from her forehead, and for a moment he just stood there again. Then, with a sigh, she heard him walk toward the balcony doors once more. And this time he didn't stop. This time Nova heard the lock of her balcony door turn and she felt the cold wind rush into her room. 

Nova waited. Waited for the sound of the door latching shut. But the sound never came. The doors never did close. But JJ had left her. And eventually, she slept for real.

It was better this way, Nova thought. Better for him to be gone when she woke. That way they could both avoid the truth.

Avoid the truth despite proof of it being written all over her. He was all over her.

There was still static in the air. Remanents of the shockwave that rolled through just hours earlier. Pieces of him were burned into her. Left on her skin.