5. 𝗽𝗼𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗲𝘀

v

v. pointless parties

Midsummer. She nearly cried into her pillow. The egg yolk sun poured across Nova's tired body. Only three hours of sleep and the daybreak pulled her from her slumber. Arriving a little before seven this morning, it was now nearing noon. Normally, her late sleeping schedule would be little issue, but she had plans today. Because today was...

Midsummer.

It happens every summer. And every summer, Nova somehow forgets about it. The event filled her day. Preparation and celebration waiting ahead. For when she finally decides to get out of bed.

With a slight whine, Nova rolled out of bed and onto the floor. She sat up, brushing the long, stringy hair out of her face, that was still damp from this morning's rain. She laughed, uncontrollably. Her head leaned back onto her bed, real, genuine, belly laughs.

"Fuck," she breathed, her chest heaving, the laughs slowed, and the events of the early morning filled her memory. "I like him."

Her best friend's words of warning lingered on her mind. Replaying over and over, stuck on repeat. Sarah could see it on her. She knew from the moment Nova stepped out of the car. And the entire drive to Nova's house was filled with Sarah's ramblings. She had many opinions. But when Nova stepped out of her vehicle, yellow parking ticket hanging loosely in her hand, Sarah followed, eyes softening. The only thing she had to say then was to make Nova promise she knew what she was doing .

Nova couldn't promise that.

Nolan being the perfect child he was, was standing bright eyed in the kitchen. Filling his mouth with the sweet treats that decorated the kitchen. Their house staff always went all out on the days that Lincoln Scott arrived home.

His hair frizzed. Looking as if a towel had just been run through it. He wore a pair of black slacks, paired with a torn band shirt and a unties bow hanging lazily around his neck. He was smiling, as always, as he bit into a sprinkled donut.

"So, what time did you finally get in last night?" he asked, eyebrows raised and mouth full.

Scoffing Nova moved toward the decorated island countertops, filled with pastries and an assortment of breakfast sweets. She took a chocolate chip muffin from the neat display.

"What" she asked. "Did you wait up on me?"

"Actually, I did," said her older brother.

He moved to the counter above the toaster. Reaching to the top shelf and opening a bright orange pill bottle. He put the capsule before her with a cup of water.

Nova sighed, guiltily taking her medication.

"Though I ended up falling asleep around threeish this morning," Nolan went on to explain. "Woke up a few hours later to someone trapsing up the stairs. Figured it was you after I heard your bedroom door shut."