Chapter 11

A few minutes after his stunning discovery, Jack was seated with a cup of steaming soup and a few slices of bread ready on the table. His eyes were constantly glancing between how Roman was catering to whatever Chris desired or needed and to the young, slender man himself, who was absentmindedly brushing over his bulging stomach with a smile.

It was amazing to see how a big, burly guy like Rowan, who looked as if he could easily separate a man's head of his shoulders with just a slap, was now giving Chris the kicked puppy glance when his mate asked for a private conversation with Jack.

Rowan had left the room with a few backwards glances, dragging Kaiden with him as they went to the kitchen; according to Rowan, there was a pile of filthy dishes waiting for them.

Jack was twitching with his fingers, his eyes constantly straying towards the young man beside him before they glanced at the kitchen, where he heard the comforting rumbling of his mate's voice.

"So," Chris sighed as he rubbed over his extended stomach. The slender male smiled warmly as he took in how Jack twitched with his fingers, feeling shy all of a sudden. How did you breach this subject?

A little flutter in his stomach made him glance at the entrance of the kitchen, smiling softly as he caught Kaiden glancing back at him. Jack looked back up at the clearing of a throat and flushed brightly as Chris gave him a pointed look.

"Newly mated huh? I first thought it would fade away, that blissful sensation of being loved, wanted, needed. It only grows stronger over time." He sighed, winking at his own mate before Jack managed to find his voice.

"H-how is...that," he gestured towards Chris' bulging stomach, hoping that he wasn't being rude, "How is that possible? I mean, you're a guy. Right?" Jack blushed even harder as Chris laughed softly, tossing his blonde curls over his shoulder.

Jack quickly busied his hands with the food, hiding his embarrassment before he froze when Chris grabbed a hold of his hand, rubbing soothing circles with his thumb. "I'm sorry, you simply reminded me of the day I was welcomed into the pack."

"What happened?" Jack asked curiously, quickly handing Chris his own bowl of soup when he noticed the man struggling to reach forwards. "Thanks dear. I'll tell you but I'd like to know how you and Kaiden met as well." After Jack's nod, Chris gently blew on his steaming soup before taking a tentative sip.

"Well, I came from a village up North, rather far away from here actually." A distant look clouded Chris' eyes for a moment before he gave me a wry smile. "I guess we're alike in some ways. I always knew I was different from my other siblings; they were big, strong and muscular guys while I'm ...this." He added with a wave of his hand.

Jack nodded in understanding; like Jack, Chris was slender and lacking that obvious masculine build that Rowan or Kaiden had in abundance. Even their heights were dwarfed by their mates.

"So obviously, the town slowly started to point fingers, whispering behind their backs and when they started the rumors that I loved a man like a woman should, they decided to wash their hands clean of me." Chris said tiredly, leaning back and smiling as Rowan crept in the room with a concerned expression.

Rowan didn't wait to be invited and simply sat down beside Chris, lifting his mate's feet into his lap before he started rubbing them. "So much for that private chat, huh?" Jack jolted as hands pulled him up before he sighed softly and settled back down against Kaiden's chest, closing his eyes as he felt Kaiden's lips brush against his hair.

"Anyways, I hopped on a cart with traveling merchants and moved to a village about an hour or four away from here. Rowan was doing pack business there and saw me unpack-" Chris smiled at the large, burly man as he grinned widely as he continued the story.