One

A/N: Please don't skip the prologue. You're going to be very confused if you didn't read it
~•~•~

"Sire, the Lord shall not allow this. She is of your own flesh and blood you can not wed her!" The King's chief advisor tried to explain for the 100th time, but the king refused to listen.

"I made a promise and that promise shall stand, now, you will speak of it no more or you might just find your own neck at the end of a rope. Am I understood?" His voice grew as he spoke until it was booming throughout the throne room.

Shaking from head to toe the man bowed, "Yes, your highness." He quickly scurried out of the room leaving the king alone with his thoughts.

He knew in his mind that it was wrong for him to want his daughter, but he couldn't get past her ethereal being. Her long golden hair was almost brighter than her mother's. Her petite form, accentuated by delicate curves and young innocent features. It only made sense that he, her father, should be the one to care for her for the rest of her life.

What other man could fulfill the role better than him?

However, the young princess felt quite the opposite. She stayed locked in her chambers day in and day out, sobbing. She couldn't eat, she couldn't drink. She felt so sick and disgusted. What was she supposed to do? How was she to convince him to find another woman? Surely they would both be sent to hell and rightfully so, she thought.

A knock at the door made her jump and she wiped her tear-stained cheeks hastily, "Yes?"

"Your highness, the king has requested you join him for dinner this evening." A nervous voice of a young servant called through the door. No one dared disturb her unless they had to. Only her nursemaid was allowed to enter and it was only to bring her food, and take away the old tray she had failed to even touch.

Her stomach grumbled but she paid it no mind, looking back out the window, "Please, tell him I am not feeling well and will be unable to join him."

"Katerina."

Oh no.

"Father..."

He sighed behind the door, mumbling something to the servant boy before speaking again. Though she couldn't see him she could picture his face perfectly in her mind and it made her want to vomit, "Join me, my darling. It is for the best. Can you deny your mother's dying wish?" He spoke softly, trying to gently coax her out of the room with love and the promise of safety.

"I do not think this is what she meant, father." She made sure to emphasize the word to try and make him understand that she had no intention of being his lover.

"Katerina!" She cringed at his harsh tone and was forced to listen, "You will put on a nice dress and join me for dinner, or I will send in the guards and have them drag you out. Either way, you will be mine tonight, so I suggest you decide quickly."

He didn't allow her to respond and left, storming down the corridor to his own chambers to ready himself for dinner. He wanted to dress nicely for her, something he had not done since the late queen's death.

Seeing no other choice and knowing he never made empty promises, she began to prepare herself for the evening. All the while devising a plan to somehow slow the wedding preparations

If everything went according to his plan, the ceremony was to be held in a week's time, but she refused to let that happen. If she could push it back by a month maybe two, she could possibly set his mind straight.

This wasn't him.

He was overcome by grief.

Confused.