Ten

The Queen guided Katerina to the top of the stairs that lead down into the ballroom. King Theodore was waiting for them beside a large guard, dressed from head to toe in the royal uniform, the house crest pinned on his breast just above his heart.

The princess, much smaller than the massive man, grabbed onto the King's arm and whispered in his ear, "My lord, if I may request, please do not announce me."

He chuckled and pat her arm warmly, "Of course my dear, do not worry. Come along, my son is very anxious to meet you."

"What do you mean?" She gasped, her wide eyes turning to the queen.

"He is waiting for a beautiful woman to appear." She laughed, "I will not allow for that stubborn boy to turn away such an option standing right in front of him." The elegant Queen laid her arm on top of her husband's, allowing Theodore to help her step down into the ballroom, the guests stopping to watch, bowing their heads in loyalty and respect.

Katerina swallowed harshly and gripped the railing tightly, her fingers balling up her skirt in a fist, lifting it above the floor. Slowly her heels clicked down the marble steps, her eyes glued to where she would be placing her foot next. The room was absolutely silent, and she tried to slow her beating heart because it seemed the whole world could hear it.

Her masked gaze lifted and she caught sight of the Prince standing beside his parents, his hand on the hilt of his sword.

Her feet froze for a split second almost causing her to trip, but her hold on the banister kept her steady. He looked the same as he had in her dream. His black overcoat, trimmed with gold that matched her grown. He wore all of his medals on his breast, his dark mask hiding his brow making him appear intimidating, not that he wasn't already.

Her breathing grew staggered as her foot left the last step, landing on the ballroom floor. She forced herself to curtsey, her knees quivering under the massive skirt, thankfully hidden from view.

"Your highness." She spoke loudly, biting her lip. He is going to recognize her. She knew it. Slowly, he approached her, his eyes raking over her skin. His lips were pressed together in a tight line, almost a frown, though that was not uncommon for him. Had she ever seen him happy in the few interactions they had together?

"My Lady," He took up her delicate hand in his, her gloves covering the several burns and blisters on her palms and the small amount of dirt trapped under her nails. still, it hurt and she had to suppress her flinch, but it was still noticeable, "Would you care to dance with me?" He asked though he had no reason to. Even if the Queen had not insisted upon her dancing with her son, no one was allowed to deny the crown prince or any royal for that matter.

She nodded, her pale lips parting, "Of course, Your highness. It would be an honor." She didn't know if that had been a lie or not, even though it was her own words even she could not tell.

Prince Alexander was thrilled at her acceptance of his invitation and the corners of his mouth lifted only a fraction, but a fraction was enough for Katerina to notice. He pulled the beautiful girl towards him, wrapping his massive hand around her petite waist, much smaller now after not being given much to eat for the past months.

She glanced down quickly, her lungs forgetting how to work and her heartbeat sending spikes of fire throughout her body. His fingertips curled slightly applying pressure and she could not help but feel this urge to moan when he swept her closer and across the floor.

"Might I know the name of the gorgeous woman I am dancing with?" He asked, the sharp raven beak of his mask pointing down at her.

Despite the tight corset, she managed a few short breaths, "Does that not defeat the very purpose of a masked ball?" She asked him with a smirk as he spun her in time with the music.