Eleven

"Finish da soup fer da, Prince!" Chef shouted, pounding his fist on the small wooden panel that separated her from the kitchen, "You was gone too long!" She could hear him grumble and his large feet shuffle over the stone floor and then the metal latch on the door clang as he slammed it closed, leaving her alone while he went to enjoy the festivities for a short time.

Katerina peaked her head out making sure he was gone, resecuring her hood. She scurried to the large pot that had the boiling stew inside and gave it a stir, noticing it was still missing several of the key ingredients.

She was far from an expert in the art of cooking, but she had picked up a few things from her time in her father's castle. The chambermaids took her under their wings after her mother's death and tried their best to keep her busy by teaching her different skills.

It was not very effective as she still found herself awake late at night, sitting among the dead flowers in the Queen's garden or at her tomb.

She appreciated the elder women's efforts and did enjoy their time together as she had never felt as if she belonged with the other nobility of her father's court. She was not allowed out of the castle and the only friends she had to play with when she was a child, were the young boys training to join the royal guard.

She was more of a maid than a princess as it was, especially now. Perhaps this was truly the life God had intended for her. She could not possibly help run a kingdom. She was still a little girl.

She stirred the boiling broth and tossed in a few more chopped onions and a lot more salt. For some reason, unknown to her, Chef detested the use of salt; that or he simply could not taste his food well enough to understand it was lacking any flavor.

She readied the serving trays and set out three bowls, each of which she filled high with the steaming soup. She smiled, taking a taste for herself, then again, a stale bread crumb would taste like chocolate cake to her hungry stomach.

A maid stumbled through the door, her rounded cheeks red and her brow creased, "The- the Prince requests his dinner now- alone in his chambers." She gasped, out of breath.

Thousandfurs nodded and placed one of the bowls on its own tray and tried to hand it to the girl.

She shook her head, recoiling, as if the food would bite her, "Oh- no- he wants you!" She explained, "He wants you to serve him." The girl had no idea why but she was not about to question the royal heir and followed his commands.

Katerina's heart pounded in excitement at the prospect of seeing him again after the night's events, but every off beat was repeating the same warning.

Handsome.

Dangerous.

Handsome.

Dangerous.

He had tried to drown her! Tried to steal her innocence! She had climbed his tower as he requested of her and placed herself in the very position he wanted her in. She was not stupid enough to do it again... but she had no choice.

She was no longer naive to his deranged thoughts and actions and she would try to be more careful if she could, but that mattered not, for what the Prince wanted, he got.

Even if he had to take it.

"Hurry!" The maid warned, not wanting to be on the receiving end of any punishment unless the stupid beast girl did as she was told. She left, going to most likely hide until she was needed again for any more meal services the nobles desired.