Thirty-Two

As punishment for his sinful crimes, King Paul's body was torn apart limb from limb, and the parts scattered throughout the different kingdoms. Each arm was buried territories apart and the same went for his legs, his torso, and his head. Alexander personally saw to the dismemberment of the former King of Lenningston.

Claiming responsibility for the murder of the king, automatically placed the crown upon his head and Alexander took over the large kingdom overnight. He did not take his new position lightly and called a meeting with the chief advisor and other members of the royal court.

"How is she? The princess I mean." The advisor asked. Just as most of Lenningston he had rejoiced learning the young girl was still alive but pitied her plight. Unfortunately, there was nothing anyone could do to save her. In fact, the entire kingdom had hoped that her marriage to her father would end their suffering.

Alexander smiled at the thought of his bride, her beauty still amazing him, "Shaken. She refuses to speak of the incident but is unharmed. It is important the people see her soon." From what he had been able to get out of her, the few days of captivity were rather calm. He still worried that something much bigger had happened, not that what she had gone through that he knew of wasn't already horrible. Being stolen from her own wedding and brought back to a kingdom where she was expected to marry her father, was not a light issue.

"Agreed." One of the members of the council chimed in, "She is a figurehead for the kingdom. Her face will give the people hope for the future to come."

The previous king had grown negligent and obsessive, utilizing resources that were meant for the good of the citizens, for his own personal benefit. Peasants suffered greatly from his lack of leadership and were forced to live off the leftover scraps from their harvests, the rest going directly to the palace.

"There is another matter in which we should discuss." Alexander watched the table carefully.

He had chosen to keep the original council because of their vast knowledge regarding the welfare of the kingdom. Though they seemed willing and even excited about the new change in leadership, he couldn't be too sure. A single bad apple could rot the rest of the batch.

"Training of the guards and soldiers should recommence as usual but I will need a select batch to travel over the river into Claridon. I wish for all men to adhere and uphold the same expectations."

"Of course, your highness." The commander of the guard bowed his head, "I will gather the best men for the job and will personally see to it."

"There is still the matter of your marriage to Lady Katerina." The advisor said, his wrinkled hands folded over the table. He smiled kindly, the creases around his eyes deepening his age, "Your union will solidify the bonds between not only your ownership of the throne but the relations between our two kingdoms. A decision has to be made on how you wish to rule these two lands."

Both Alexander and Katerina were only children leaving them the sole heirs of their titles. There was no one else to take these positions and the need for a male heir in Lenningston was of great issue in the last several years. This had been weighing heavily on everyone's mind but Alexander had come up with a solution.

The two kingdoms were separated by a river that ran down the countryside, acting as a perfect dividing line. Since Alexander would now control both lands he thought it best to simply forgo this division. Even so, more land meant more subjects and he would need some assistance in maintaining the order.

"My mother's brother is well respected among my people. He will look after Claridon when my bride and I are away." Lenningston being the larger of the two lands and requiring the most help to rebuild, he knew they would settle there for a while. He also thought it best for the people to have the face of their lost princess as hope for the future.