43 - An Apple As Red As Blood

At Granny's Bed and Breakfast, Henry raced down a hall to August's room, he pounded on the door.

"Hang on!" August called out from behind the door and he walked over, opening it.

Henry walked into the room, "August, please, I need your help," Henry saw Amy, "I need both of your help. Alana and Emma want to leave," Henry told said.

"What?" Amy stood up as August shut the door, "Slow down," August said.

"You were gonna make her believe. You have to," Henry said.

"I know, Henry. I'm sorry. I... I failed," August said.

"Failed?" Henry asked.

"I tried to show them. First, it was my legs, and now? Now take a look. at the unvarnished truth," August said as he rolled down the jacket sleeve to reveal a wooden arm.

"It's wood!" Henry said.

"Yes," August said and he wiggled his gloved fingers.

"All this! I was right! The curse, it's real!" Henry said.

"You're a smart kid, Henry," Amy said with a smile.

"And you're Pinocchio!" Henry said as he looked at Henry.

"What gave it away?" August asked rhetorically as he rolled the sleeve back up.

"But, why are you turning back to wood? Your story, you should be real!" Henry said.

"Oh, yes, about that," Amy looked at August, "Just why, oh why, are you turning back to wood? Did you not listen to me when you took Snow's place in the wardrobe?" Amy asked.

"As Amy just said, I didn't listen to her. I'm turning back because I haven't exactly been a good boy," August got down onto his knees with a struggle, "And uh, if the curse doesn't break, this doesn't stop," August said.

"So, we show the twins that you're turning back into the puppet you were, and then, they have to believe! And when they do, they could break the curse!" Henry said.

"I tried that. They don't want to see, so they don't. There's nothing more that I can do. I...I'm getting tired. It's hard to ride, it's hard to walk. Soon it's gonna be hard to breathe," August said.

Amy put her hand in August's, "So we have to do something fast," Henry said

"There's nothing to do. And with what little time I have left, I want to spend it with my father," August said.

"Marco," Henry said.

"Told you, you're a smart kid," Amy said and stood up, she helped August to stand.

Henry looked at Amy, "What can you do?" Henry asked.

"All I have is a necklace, my best friend Jefferson, the Mad Hatter and a wolf who looks like an overgrown dog... I don't have anything Henry that can be used as proof... I can talk to them but you know the twins, they won't believe anything they hear..." Amy said.