Chapter 17

I spent too long in my room, agonizing over what to wear. I could hear Charlotte yelling last-minute instructions to the boys downstairs as I panicked over how formal I should look, if the outfit was comfortable, and what people would think. I also had the strangest feeling that something was nagging at me and pressing into the back of my head like a drill, but I couldn't let it bother me.

Charlotte gave a five-minute warning call, so I finally chose a maroon dress that looked a bit like a jersey and did nothing to show off my body. It had little stripes on the sleeves that cuffed my arms and a small, embroidered design in the bottom corner. I made sure my hair looked good and my makeup hadn't melted off with worry and then ran downstairs and into the front room just as the doorbell rang. They were early!

I made a squeaking noise in the back of my throat and Dominic walked over and stood in front of me as the door opened, giving me a chance to compose myself. I took a deep breath and tried to relax my shoulders and body, and focus.

I heard a loud high-pitched sound and then a crash as a woman collided with Charlotte in what seemed to be an intense bear hug.

"Aunt Kathy," Dominic whispered to me over his shoulder.

"Aunt? I thought Charlotte said she only had a brother!" I worried excessively.

"It's just an inside joke," Damon explained as the woman went to tackle Caleb in a hug. "She's Mom's best friend." The second he had finished speaking, "Aunt Kathy" was looking at him with a gaping mouth and open arms.

"You look so spiffy, little Damon!" she said, reaching to grab him in one of her hugs. He hugged her back politely, but by his expression, I knew he loved her. "You all look very nice!" she exclaimed almost proudly, looking around at each one of them.

I realized as I looked at the boys that she was right. Caleb wore a blue button-up that perfectly matched his eyes, Damon and Brooks wore similar dark colored shirts and jeans, and Dominic was more formal than I'd ever seen him in a red plaid shirt and nice pants.

"And you!" Kathy said, turning to me. "You must be Maya!" I waited for her to pull me into an embrace but instead, she placed her hands on her hips and leaned back as if to get a better view of me. I took the chance to compare her to my mental picture as well. She was shorter than I thought she would be, shorter than me even, but with wider hips and a bigger chest. She had mousy brown hair and a warm smile that looked somewhat childlike and excited, even at rest.

"That's me," I replied, resisting the urge to smooth out my dress or brush a hand through my hair. I smiled instead, hoping that the panicked breathing came off as excitement. 

"I've heard so much about you." She gushed, with soft brown eyes holding mine tightly. I found that I liked her, almost immediately. She had the exact same energy Charlotte did: the same love and acceptance, but with a little more gusto. She was clearly confident and did things with purpose, not thinking about it, or overthinking as I did.

"All good things, of course." Charlotte elaborated, coming over to place an arm around my shoulder. It helped to have her there and I was reminded of her promise to me. I could leave any time I wanted, and she would go with me. 

The doorbell rang again, and I prepped myself for guest number two. You can handle this, I told myself. You have handled so much more.

A woman with red hair and a large handbag was let in, who I knew to be "Mimi" right away. She barged in proudly and said, "I'm back, who missed me?" before turning to me and saying, "Hello, Maya, dear. Welcome to the family!"

I admired her brightly colored outfit, complete with a dramatic scarf that was swept over one shoulder and tucked beneath large hoop earrings. Her outfit was a mix of orange, blue, green, and purple, and I was positive that she didn't care in the slightest what anyone would say or think about it.

She plopped dramatically on the couch and tapped the seat next to her, showing off a collection of chunky rings and clacking bracelets as she encouraged me to join her. I walked over slowly and sat, squishing the sofa loudly as I leaned back. 

"Mimi, give her a minute before you attack her with your questions," Dominic said, rolling his eyes and sitting on the other side of us.

She turned her bright green eyes on him, and I was stunned for a minute at the color. It matched a dragonfly brooch she had on her cardigan exactly.

"Young man, when you live to be 85 you can tell me what to do, but for now, get an old woman a Diet Coke." She said archly, giving me a surreptitious smile. My eyes widened at the thought of Dominic listening to anybody but himself. Charlotte may have been their mom, but sometimes it felt like Dominic was in charge of everyone. 

He sighed and stood up, dutifully replying "Yes, Mimi" before heading off towards the kitchen. I playfully clapped, knowing that was the response she was looking for. She bowed her head and smiled at me as if we were the only two with an inside joke. I looked over at Charlotte and Kathy who were talking to Brooklyn about something. Charlotte raised an eyebrow as if asking me if I needed help. I shook my head with a smile that she returned. Dominic placed a Diet Coke on the coffee table in front of us before walking away.

"Can you teach me how to do that?" I giggled, looking at the other boys who were now maintaining distance for the fear that she'd have them do something for her too. 

"Darling," she expressed lavishly. "We are ladies, and the things that we want in this world won't be given to us. We have to take them."

I thought about that for a moment and then called over Damon. He approached apprehensively.

"Damon, get me a sprite." I declared, lifting my head in the air efficaciously.

"No way in he-" he was interrupted by the fiery woman at my side, who gave a loud cough and glared into his eyes with a fury that I couldn't fathom.

He stalked in the direction of the kitchen and Mimi gave me a little high-five, before leaning in to wrap a surprisingly powerful arm around me. Her bracelets made loud noises as they fell down her arm and she squeezed me in, I rested my head against her shoulder easily. Her perfume was nearly suffocating, but I breathed it in happily as I received her hug.

"And that is how it's done." She whispered as he returned with my drink. We clinked the cans together merrily and waited for everyone else to arrive.