Chapter 32

School came back after our break with an indecent drop in temperature and an inevitably impossible number of tests to take. I tried to remember the things I had learned before Thanksgiving break, but it felt like centuries ago. It was a blessing that I took detailed notes, even if the margins were covered in colorful scribbles. I poured over them at all breaks in the day including lunch. I wasn't about to fail everything I'd been working on all semester.

I tried to remind myself that it wasn't important, but a secret part of me longed to make impressive grades and show them to my family. They thought I was smart and capable, and I wanted to prove them right.

A chunk of turkey fell from JJ's sandwich as she leaned over to see what I was doing. I gave her a look.

"Sorry! I need to study too, you know!" she said, eyes bugging out as she pretended to be remorseful. I flicked the turkey off in her direction and laughed.

"You need to study with my notes?" I asked pointedly.

"Well, I lost mine!" she whined. Knowing the state her backpack was in, I believed it.

"Of course you did." Cassie sighed as she gave JJ a knowing look.

"What?" JJ asked defensively.

"I'm just saying, I can understand why you've been focused on a lot more than schoolwork," Cassie said, catching all of our attention. Lucy and I exchanged a confused look.

JJ dropped the innocent act and gave Cassie a glare.

"How did you find out?" she grilled as if she were an FBI agent interrogating a criminal.

"Oh, come on! It's obvious!" she exclaimed.

"What's obvious?" Lucy and I asked at the same time, giggling with each other at our eagerness.

"She found someone," Cassie told us, rolling her eyes playfully.

"Like a missing person?" Asher said as he came to sit beside me, placing his backpack at our feet. "You should probably report that."

Cassie gave him a look that could kill. "Not a missing person, Asher. A boy."

"A boy is a person, Cassie. How sexist of you!" Magnus teased as he sat beside her, lips quirking up as she grew more and more exasperated.

"I'm not- ugh! I know that Mav! I mean to say that JJ likes someone!" Cassie huffed. We all turned to JJ with a smirk.

"Thanks a lot, Cass." She said irritably as Lucy and I shrieked, and Magnus and Asher covered their ears.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"What's his name?" Lucy squealed.

"Does he go here?" I demanded.

"Does he like you too?" Lucy giggled.

We chirped our questions at her in a rapid attack, studying long forgotten.

A little color touched JJ's cheeks as she mumbled "I think he likes me back... it might be too soon to tell."

We turned to Cassie because she was the expert.

"When will she know if he likes her back or not?" Lucy asked Cassie, as Magnus and Asher groaned at our discussion. We peaceably ignored them.

"Does he seem interested? Does he try to spend time with you or ask you about yourself?" she asked.

"Yeah! He texts me a lot and we talk between classes and stuff." JJ said, looking hopeful now. Lucy and I squealed and grabbed hands, giggling.

Asher gave me a look of astonishment, but it was a happy look. I smiled back.

"What?" I demanded, with an air of superiority.

"I have never seen you look like that." He said, still smiling.

"I can be girly!" I refuted, with a twinkle in my eye.

"I know." He said back as if he knew something I didn't.

"Guys are impossible to figure out," I said to the table, as Asher grinned out of the corner of my eye.

"Don't I know it," Magnus mocked, shaking his head and making us all laugh. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N I picture Cassie as young Sasha Pieterse!