Chapter 46

I was oddly reminiscent of the first week I spent at the Anders house as we drove over to the mall. This was where I had gotten new clothes after leaving my uncle's house, and new shoes. This was where Dominic had helped me challenge my fear of accepting help from others.

I counted the money in my wallet by placing the miscellaneous bills in a stack on the seat beside me. Although Charlotte had money to spare, accepting financial help from others was especially hard for me. I knew how much time and effort Charlotte put into making that money. She said she was paying me for the weekly chores that I did, but it still made me uncomfortable. I guess a good way to even it out was to buy nice presents for everyone... if only I knew what they wanted.

As we walked inside and began perusing the shops, I tried to consider each of my brothers. I couldn't help but compare them to the silly caricatures that I had imagined them to be the first time I met them.

Brooklyn, I had assumed was sporty, which was technically true... he did run every morning! But he was so much more than that, too. He loved photography and spending time with people, and really valued his family and his relationships. An idea struck me, so I sent a text to his girlfriend for help, immediately.

I thought about Caleb next. When I first met him, he stood out as the kindest and most welcoming. He was still kind, but there was also a devious side to him. He loved meeting new people and wandering off with friends on wild late-night adventures. He was admittedly young and naïve but that made him fearless, willing to try anything at least once. I had a couple of ideas for him, but I already knew he'd be happy with pretty much anything.

Then there was Dominic. Dominic was essentially just a very tall muscular guy when I met him. He kept his secrets close to his chest and didn't show others what he was feeling or thinking. Ironically, he was my closest confidante now. He was protective, assertive, and intimidating, but also inwardly sweet. I knew that he loved me and would do anything for me just from the way his eyes shone. I thought of the fun time we'd spent on the motorcycle and messing around, and an idea for a present came to mind. It would be expensive, but I was more than willing to spend all of the money I had saved on presents for my new brothers.

Lastly, there was Damon. From our first encounter, Damon had proved to be threatening and purposefully provocative. He seemed desperate for an altercation of some sort, which I later realized was just his way of expressing his feelings. He wasn't one to keep his secrets inside, he would always attempt to battle them openly. He didn't doubt himself or struggle in a quiet manner. He showed his strength in every confident and occasionally arrogant step that he took. I couldn't think of anything to get the man, so I just toured random stores until I came across something that I hoped he might like. It wasn't the most personally meaningful gift, but I thought he could get good use out of it.

I was just going to text Dominic that I was ready to leave when I remembered that Charlotte needed a present! What could you get a woman who could afford to buy anything that she wanted? I searched the remaining stores in the mall unsuccessfully. I didn't want to get her a random piece of jewelry or a bottle of perfume. I thought of a present that she might like, and I decided to go for it on a whim. I picked up the supplies I would need and then met the boys at the big fountain in the mall.

I saw Caleb and Damon already sitting there, holding bags, and looking bored.

"Where are the others?" I asked as I approached,nearly yelling over the gurgle of the fountain.

"On the way," Damon said, reading something on his phone.

"Did you get me something?" Caleb asked eagerly,peeking into my bags.

"No, I decided to skip you this year. Hope that's okay." I teased, plopping down beside him on the bench. He looked hurt until he realized I was joking. After a couple more minutes of waiting patiently, I turned to the boys curiously.

"Isn't it weird how when I first met you, I knew so little about you?" I asked. Damon looked up and smirked.

"Isn't that kind of how it works?" he asked wryly.

"Okay yes, but you know what I mean! I thought I had you figured out in seconds, but you guys are nothing like I thought." I explained.

"Yeah, I thought I got a good read on you too, but I was wrong," Damon admitted, while Caleb considered what we were saying.

"Maybe abu-" I changed my word mid-saying it. "...bad experiences make us think that we can understand people from just a look. We think we've figured them out and that they just want to hurt us or think about themselves, but it isn't true. There are genuinely good people in the world who want to care about you, you just need to find them." I mused. Caleb's little smile turned into a full-blown grin, and he wrapped an arm around me, holding me close.

"I definitely agree." He nodded, as Brooks and Dominic approached.

As we drove home, I thought about my little epiphany. It had taken me so long to get past my preconceptions and recognize them for what they were. But I was happy that I realized it now, even if it took me a couple of months and a lot of false judgments to find it.

Just because some people can be deceitful or abusive doesn't mean all people are. It's not worth wasting your life believing the worst in people and never giving anyone a chance to prove you wrong.

The car took a sharp turn and I shifted, trying to hide my shopping bags beneath my legs and not let the boys see what I got for them as we drove home.