8

Harry and Draco were in the common room studying together. Ron was challenging Dean at Wizard chess; as expected Dean was losing terribly. Hermione was also studying and Neville was reading by the fire. Lavender and Fay were looking at a photo album and Seamus was organising his Chocolate frog cards.

Seamus had the most cards after Draco and the two had traded duplicate cards that morning. They had even shared some of the really common ones with Harry, Dean and Hermione so that they could start their own collections.

That evening one of the older prefects came in with a poster that she placed up on the board by the fireplace.

"First years?" She spoke and everyone shushed before falling silent. "Flying classes are on Thursday during last period." There was a collective cheer. The girl held her breath and spoke again. "However, you will be sharing your slot with Slytherin house." There was a collective first year groan and the prefect made a strategic duck for her dormitory.

"Well that's just great. Ruining the joy of flying by having to share with those Pricks." Draco complained, flipping his page over violently.

"Hey, we can just use it as a chance to prove how much better we are than them, can't we?" Harry nudged his friend.

Draco nodded and looked down at his paper. "Hey Ron!" He called. "Are you actually going to come and do your homework or not?"

"It doesn't have to be in until Friday."

"Ron it's not best to piss of Professor Snape."

"Just because you and Harry are his favourites doesn't mean you have to suck up to him."

There was a lulling silence as a few in the common room began digesting this piece of information.

"Did you just say that Snape's favourites are in Gryffindor?" Fred leaned down beside Harry. He looked at the two boys if trying to work them out.

Dean nodded. "Yeah you should have seen it. Harry got twelve points and a smile. Draco got two. He even defended them against Zabine."

"He defended you two against a Slytherin." Fred asked.

"Yeah, he threatened him with detention."

"What happened?" Most of the room was listening. "Snape hates Gryffindor's more than anything else in the world."

"Umm." Harry began seeing everyone staring at him. "Well, Zabine was calling Draco a blood traitor and they began to fight. I cut in so it didn't get to violent; I didn't want Snape expelling us for fighting during our first lesson with him. He called my mother a-" Harry swallowed. "Zabine called my mother a Mudblood, when the professor came in and flipped. He looked like he wanted to roast Zabine where he stood."

"Woah. So what does that mean?"

"Hell if I know but I damn well don't want to ruin it."

"Damn that sucks." George complained leaning on his brother's shoulder. "We could have used some help with Snape."

"You've lasted this long." Harry smiled.

Fourth period was at half past three in the afternoon. The Gryffindor's were hurrying down towards the broom shed; Hermione and Neville were trailing behind.