Part 3

My first instinct is to simply run up to her and hug her. I want to hold her and never let her go. I feel like crying with joy. But as I take several more steps towards her I realise something else. She's human. It's not unheard of for wolves to be mated with humans but it is rare, and whilst it doesn't bother me in the slightest it does complicate matters. She won't feel the mate bond as I do. She won't even know what a mate is. If I just walk up to her and grab her she'll think I'm some crazy guy trying to assault her.

It's so hard after fourteen years of searching but somehow I force myself to casually slip onto a barstool still several feet away from her, whilst I contemplate exactly how to approach whilst not seeming like a creep. Like magic a beer appears in front of me, the bartenders not needing to ask for my order as I'm their boss.

For a moment I just take a few deep breaths, drinking in her intoxicating smell. I'm still somewhat in shock that she's right there. My mate. Firenz is purring with pride at the sight of her. She's gorgeous. Long wavy dark brown hair, tanned skin, 5ft 5 with curves in all the right places. She's wearing a pale blue dress which hugs her body down to just above her knees and gold strappy heels. I memorise every detail, not wanting to forget this moment.

As I watch three more women approach the table and all the girls, including my mate, rise to greet them with smiles and hugs. They're clearly on some sort of girls night out as a waiter approaches with several more pitchers of colourful cocktails, the girls all refreshing their glasses before cheersing each other. I watch as my girl laughs at something one of her friends says, her whole face lighting up. My heart does a funny sort of stutter and squeeze.

My sly observations of my new found mate are suddenly interrupted by a voice in my head. "Alpha, where are you? I know the shewolves have all got their claws out but you can't just run and hide, people keep asking where you are and dinner's about to be served."

I mindlink Jake straight back, "I'm at the bar in Oasis, I need your help with something."

"Now? You're not coming back to the ball? I know I joked earlier but I'll protect you from the crazies if you need."

There's no way I'm letting my girl out of my sight now that I've found her, "I'm not coming back, something far more important is going on. Just get over here and I'll explain."

"Ok Ok" Jake grumbles although I can sense his curiosity too.

"Be subtle though, the last thing I need is anyone following you to find me."

"Yes Sir!"

Only a few minutes later and Jake is sliding on to the barstool next to me, temporarily blocking my view of my mate and causing Firenze to let out a low grumble. Instantly I shift slightly so that she is still in my peripheral vision. I have this unfounded fear that this is all some hallucination and she's going to vanish like a dream the moment I blink.

"So what's the emergency?"

I take a deep breath, somehow saying it outloud seems like such a big step, "I found my mate."

Jake's mouth drops open in shock and he's stunned into silence for a good thirty seconds before finding his voice, "What? Are you serious? That's amazing! Congrats! Where is she? Who is she? Why are you just sat here at this bar all alone?" His tone goes from surprised to elated to confused as he reels off his questions.

"She's in the booth behind you with a bunch of friends. NO, don't turn around you idiot, you'll make it obvious we're looking at her."

Jake stops trying to turn around but still stares at me in confusion, "I don't get it. Why is she there and you're here?"

"I haven't approached her yet. She's human."

"Oh" Jake says, understanding dawning.

"Yep" I say simply, "Just trying to figure out how to approach this. I have all these crazy emotions going on and Firenz is leaping about but I don't wanna scare her away by being too intense. I know she won't be feeling any of this."

Jake nods, "Yeah this is definitely gonna be tricky, but totally amazing" He adds with a grin, "I can't believe you found her, I'm so happy for you bro" and before I know it he's pulling me in for a hug. He gives one extra squeeze before letting go, "You totally deserve this!"

I can't help but grin back at him but then I tense as I notice my mate getting up from her table. She walks right by my seat and I briefly panic thinking she's leaving but breathe a sigh of relief when I see her making her way to the restroom.

Jake watches my eyes following her and smiles, "I guess that's her, she's pretty. I say now's your chance. Just casually bump into her when she's coming back, offer to buy her a drink."

"What should I say?"

Jake just laughs, "Man I've never seen you this nervous!"

"Well it's kinda a big deal" I growl, "I don't wanna fuck it up."

"Just start with hi and take it from there."

I roll my eyes at this oh so helpful advice. The restroom door opens and my girl starts to head back this way. Taking a deep breath I stand up. Here goes nothing.