Part 4

(Emily's POV)

My heel catches on something and I stumble slightly only to be steadied by a pair of large hands seemingly appearing from nowhere. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry..." I start to say as I look up at the man who caught me only to have my sentence trail off as I stare at the most handsome man I've ever seen in my life. Over 6ft, with short dark brown curly hair, a chiseled face and broad muscly arms contained within a fitted black suit. Not to mention the most gorgeous green eyes shining brightly down at me. Aware that I'm staring at him with my mouth hanging open I quickly snap it shut.

"Are you ok?" The gorgeous man asks, his voice like honey, melting me all over. He still hasn't let go of me which isn't helping me to recover my jumbled thoughts.

"Err yes, thanks, sorry."

He smiles warmly down at me and I feel my heart do this weird stutter and squeeze.

"No problem, anytime. I, err, actually, I was coming over to talk to you anyway." He admits rather bashfully, a hint of blush lighting up his cheeks. I stare at him in surprise, he was coming to see me?

"I'm Alex." He holds out his hand and I take it, replying automatically, "Emily."

"Emily" he murmurs as though my name is some kind of special magical word instead of the bog standard English name that it is. His thumb gently strokes across the back of my hand sending shivers down my spine and tingles across my skin. "It's really nice to meet you Emily, please can I buy you a drink?"

"Oh er..." I can't help but stutter, unable to find any real words to say. Jeez, what is wrong with me? I'm totally mesmerised by this guy. "I'm with my friends" I start to say glancing over at my friends only to see seven pairs of eyes all staring at me with gleeful smiles. Upon catching my eye there's a mad combination of nods, eyebrow raising, pointing, thumbs up and 'get in' gestures. 

Turning back to Mr Gorgeous (or Alex as his actual name is) who still has a soft hold of my hand, I change the ending to my original sentence, "...but sure a drink sounds nice." The beaming smile my answer is greeted with has my heart doing further acrobatics. He also seems a bit relieved, some untold tension escaping him as I agree to join him.

"Great" he gestures towards an open booth that's still within sight of my friends, making me feel a little more comfortable. I'm aware of their ogling eyes following us as Alex slips into the seat opposite me. I still can't believe this overwhelmingly handsome man has asked me for a drink but it settles me somewhat that he seems just as nervous as me.

A waiter arrives almost instantly and Alex turns to me, "What would you like?"

"A pink gin and lemonade please" I say going for my standard order and not over thinking it. The waiter nods and turns away, not bothering to ask Alex what he wants. At my confused expression Alex explains, "They know me here, Jamie knows what I like already."

"Oh, I guess that explains the quick service too" I say as Jamie reappears already with my drink and a beer for Alex.

"So," says Alex, "tell me about you, I want to know everything, your accent sounds British?"

I laugh, "Yes, I'm from Surrey in England. I'm here for a hen do and then Vegas wedding later in the week."

His smile drops slightly, "You're only here for a week?"

"Well in Vegas for a week but in the US for another five weeks after that. I'm hiring a car and just planning on roadtripping it across the states."

"Wow that sounds great, have you been to the US before?"

"I did a long weekend in New York a few years ago with an ex but that's it. I'm so excited to explore more of it."

For the next two hours Alex and I talk effortlessly. He hangs on every word I say, asking insightful questions but also making me laugh with stories of his own. I feel like I've known him forever rather than just one evening. Everything feels so natural. It's clear he's feeling more comfortable too as we chat about everything and anything. Somehow we cover family and friends, jobs and favourite foods, books and movies, and dreams for the future where he rather bashfully admits that he hopes for marriage and kids. And I rather embarrassingly immediately pictured myself in the role.

The club is now absolutely heaving with people and the music's pumping loudly when Alex offers up his hand and asks me to dance. I'm still feeling giddy from being around this gorgeous guy and as he pulls me closer, wrapping his hands around my waist and starting to sway to the beat, the tingles all over my skin explode into goosebumps. The whole evening has felt like a perfect dream. I just hope I don't wake up.