19: We Meet Again

Cornered by a hundred Lius, Wei Wuxian was forced to leap off the mountain into the valley below. He landed right next to the bridge across the river, at the centre of the valley, panting after the fight. Thank goodness A-Ning sent me Suibian through Little Lien. Wouldn't have survived without it. Tch, should I just unveil myself and use Chenqing? 

"Well, well, well," a burly man walked towards him. "If it isn't the almighty Xingguang Xian!"

Wei Wuxian smirked and pulled back his hood. So they knew. "What do you want?"

"What do you want? Running around following me, I'm the one who should be asking!"

"All he wants is to catch us, thinks he's strong enough to do it alone, eh?" A deep voice boomed. The crowd parted, letting a tall and sturdy man walk in.

Wei Wuxian grinned. "Nie Jiuyue."

"Wei Wuxian," Nie Jiuyue bowed mockingly. "You know her too, I believe?" He pointed to the woman approaching Liu Zhongliang's side.

"Hmph," Zhang Huli smiled smugly.

"Why yes," Wei Wuxian bowed as mockingly as Jiuyue had. "Mistress Vix– Apologies. Madam Liu. We meet again."

Zhang Huli glared at the laughter in his tone. "Just capture him," she nudged Zhongliang.

"Arrest him!"

"Oh yeah?" Wei Wuxian brought out Chenqing and blew on it. Nothing happened.

Nie Jiuyue cackled loudly. "I've put up a barrier, no dark spirits can enter. Just for you, pal," he leered.

Wei Wuxian glowered at him before unsheathing Suibian and attacking the Lius crashing in.

A-Ying... Please be careful...

Wei Wuxian swung his sword at the fighters running to him from all sides. Back, forth, left, right, lunge, block, swing, parry, slash, cover, over and over, until all of a sudden, he heard Nie Jiuyue speaking in a muffled tone.

"What are you doing here? Get back inside, you might get hurt."

Frowning, Wei Wuxian spun around.

No, A-Ying, don't look...

Seeing the person standing beside Nie Jiuyue, his breath caught; jaw dropped; sword clattered to the ground.

A-Ying, focus...

The face was... Exactly like his. Every inch, every curve and cheekbone and eyelash was his. All but the smile — which wasn't even there. And the eyes. Not silver like his, but a sharp emerald green. And yet, the face... Was too much like him.

"Xi... Xiaolian?"

"Wei Wuxian," Wei Xiaolian nodded to her brother.

"Wei Xiaolian!" Wei Wuxian shouted to his sister. Only to find himself being grabbed by the shoulders and his hands pinned behind his back. Wei Wuxian writhed, screaming. "Just what do you want with my sister? Let her go!"

"Hello, I'm not tying her up!" Nie Jiuyue shrugged. 

"Xiaolian? You're here by... By your own will?" 

Wei Xiaolian pursed her lips and looked down at her feet. 

Wei Wuxian was petrified. His sister was like this? On the bad side? Feeling the hands gripping him drag him along gradually, he cried, "Let me go!"

Nie Jiuyue grinned. "Not so almighty now, eh? Where's your even mightier husband now?"

"A-YING!"