40: Youngest Head Elder

Lan Wangji was grieving.

Lan Xichen was still not-so mentally stable.

Lan Qiang was compelled to complete the rituals.

Many rituals.

First came Lan Qiren's funeral. Then when that was done, right the next morning, came the investiture.

All the Lan sect shuffled and fidgeted as they waited for the rituals to finish. Once Lan Qiang and Lan Yuanhua had done what had to be done, and all was settled, they turned to Lan Sizhui and nodded.

Lan Sizhui gulped down the sorrow and turned to the crowds. "Henceforth," he proclaimed, voice quivering slightly, "Lan Jingyi will be instated as the Head Elder of the GusuLan sect. I wish that," he rubbed his nose with a soft sniff. "I wish that you all will follow both his and my guidance, and that together," yet another sniff, "That together we will rise."

Lan Jingyi, not bothering to hold it back, let the tears gush down his face. "We shall rise. Higher than before!" His voice rose above the drips of his tears. "High up to the clouds where we should be! Where Shifu wanted us to be! We lost an elder and a head elder, but we won't fall!" He punched the air, snivelling. "We will rise! We will fight! Like Shifu said! Lans die fighting...!"

"...And never shall give up!" The others raised their swords in the air, gleaming whitish-blue and let the light fill up the compound. "Hail Head Elder Jingyi!"

"Hail Shifu!"

Lan Sizhui nodded silently and buried his face in Jingyi's shoulder, shaking.

"Hey, hey, come on," Jingyi patted his back. "Shifu wouldn't want to see this. Nor would Daddy. Come on, sword in the air now, come on!"

Lan Sizhui chuckled and wiped his face before pointing to the sky with his own sword, shouting "Hail Shifu!"

Lan Qiang and Lan Yuanhua and the three elders joined in the cheers. 

**********

On day one, Wei Ying had left him. Day two, he had been there for Shufu's burial. Day three, his son was invested as Head Elder. The youngest Head Elder ever. But instead of taking part in the celebrations, he had watched from a side and walked away once the shouts began. Having checked on Xichen, who had been fast asleep, he had trudged back to the Jingshi. After his mother, his uncle had been his closest. And then it had always been that chaotic boy.

But who'd have thought his chaos would be reckless to this extent?

And now all three were gone. Lan Qiang was a cousin sister, not as close to him. She was busy helping Lan Jingyi and Lan Sizhui and helping Jin Xiyi settle down in Cloud Recesses. Plus, Qiang-Er had always been closer to Lan Huan.

And Lan Huan... was bordering on insanity. He was comfortable with his siblings, but had lost it when Lan Zhan had visited him alone and informed him about Wei Ying's death. That had been the last straw. He had come to love his brother-in-law way too much. And Lan Huan, if not asleep, tended to be huddled up in the corner of his bed, knees brought up to his chest, face buried in his knees, shaking, out of reach. And inexplicably cold towards Jiang Cheng.

After all, Lan Yuanhua had confirmed it. The mental torture had led to Lan Xichen partially losing his memory.

He had begun to remember every last person in his life, even Wei Ying, but somehow, he couldn't seem to remember Jiang Cheng. Lan Yuanhua had suggested trying with Meilien, but Lan Zhan had left it for Jiang Cheng to handle. He couldn't take it.

So here he was sitting amid the bunnies. Chenqing at one side, Wangji on his lap.

Again.

But this time, he wasn't going to wait. One time. He would only play Inquiry one time. He knew he tossed his husband into the flames so the likelihood of Wei Ying answering him was near zero. So he would only try once.