31: Ten Jars and a Losht Puppy

Jin Ling, seated on his Sect Leader's seat, frowning with fatigue, rubbed the spot between his brows. So Lan Shushu's on the way to Hangzhou. Jiujiu's doing great so far, keeping himself busy with meimei and the sect. Good that Baozhai-shijie is back, at least she'll relieve him from too much work. So I don't need to see him for a few days? The trip to Yunmeng and back is too tiring... I did see him last evening... Should be enough.

Sighing, he picked up the glass of water on his table. The watchtowers haven't found anything. Nie Shushu says we better not rush into Hangzhou yet lest the enemy should sense us coming in large numbers and flee immediately. And Lan Shushu didn't say he saw anyone yet... Goodness, this is all just... exhausting. He poured the water down his throat.

"Do you want some coffee? Wine, perhaps?"

Jin Ling looked up to find Jin Xiyi watching from in front of the table, eyes wide in worry.

"Xiyi, hello–"

"I said do you want something to drink? Stop pretending like you're doing fantastically well, I can see you're half-dead," she crossed her arms.

"Tsk, mood swings? Pregnancy trait?" Jin Ling grinned.

"Oi, you know I've always been like this. Now tell me, shall I get Jin Chan's Stardust for you?"

Jin Ling waved his hand. "No, no, can't get drunk now. Got to finish this off," he nodded to the table and weakly picked up his brush again.

Jin Xiyi bent down and snatched it away.

"HEY!"

"Shut up."

"What now?"

"You're tired. Fatigue in a Sect Leader is just as unfruitful as a handle on a snowball. Doesn't your Jiujiu always say that?"

"It was Shu– Jin Guangyao who said that."

"Well, I know he was loose in the head but he had a point. Look at you! You aren't fit enough to hold the glass, your hand's trembling, let alone read and sign hundreds more useless reports! Get up, now."

Shaking his head, he stood. "What?"

"Now get lost." Jin Xiyi, instead of taking the Sect Leader's seat which wasn't hers, took the seat opposite it in front of the table, and grabbed the documents towards herself. "Where's your seal?"

"Over here," he drew out a drawer and placed it on the table. "But Xiyi, you're expectant, I can't let you handle all this stuff!"

"Don't worry, I'm doing fine. No kid in my stomach can stop me from going to war if I have to. What's a bit of reading and signing? I'll use your seal. If there's any errors, I'll write the response as Head Disciple but still use your seal to avoid issues. Okay?" Xiyi didn't wait for a response, just turned around to face the sheets and picked up the first on the stack. "Oh, Jin Chan's with the other disciples, it's almost evening, must be on their way to the Main Hall for a drink after training. Ask him for some wine, join them perhaps."

"And you? Where's Jingyi? Shouldn't you be going home?"

"Yiyi came to drop me here, he'll come to pick me up in an hour. I won't be finished then, going to get him to help me, he's Head Disciple in his sect too he knows what to do. I'll make him do the sealing in case he thinks of coming to drink with you all, can't have him drunk all the time or I'll be double pregnant," she groaned.

Jin Ling chuckled. "I don't think that's possible but never mind! Thank you, Xiyi," he patted her shoulder.

"Anytime," Xiyi nodded and waved him out.