Chapter 28

We were seated in the front seats of the large room. I didn't pay attention to what the host was saying. I was focusing on who was going to do the blood pact with us. If it was Caine, it would be terribly awkward as he had been ignoring and staying away from me ever since we came back.

Emma nudged me by the elbow when it was time to line up on the side of the stage. We started going up, one by one, from youngest to oldest. I was now officially nervous. Caine was the one doing the blood pact with the now new pack members since he was the eldest of the three brothers. 

I started growing restless as the line started growing shorter, and me being closer to the stage. Ezra was the one before me, and he went up the stage. They just had to repeat the same words all over again. I got more nervous as I walked up the stage. I stood on the opposite side of where Caine was standing, only a tall white circular table in between us. It wasn't like a normal table, it only took up a few inches of space.

We had written out full names just before we had filed into the room, the paper was now on Caine's hands. He hadn't looked up yet, but his eyebrows furrowed when he saw who was next.

Me.

He looked up from the paper.

"Sylvia Harper, do you accept the Cadell brothers as your Alpha?"

Cadell? Sounds weird.

"Yes, I do." Cringe.

"Do you promise to be loyal to this pack, for better or for worse?"

"Yes, I do." 

"Let our blood be shared to seal the bond," he picked up a small pocket knife that was on the small white table. It was small but sharp. Very sharp may I add. He slit the knife on his palm, again, then handed it to me.

Stupid werewolf traditions, I don't want to slit my own hand.

But then again, I didn't want to look like a coward. Everyone else would have to do it too anyway. I did it quickly, slitting my own palm and putting it on top of the white table, palm facing Caine's. There was a stone bowl on the table, which had pure water on it. Our blood dripped on it as our palms touched.

It would have hurt, but no, electric tingles shot up my body from where our skin touched. I thought the pain would be there by now, but it felt more pleasurable than pained.

I heard a low growl from Caine's throat. I didn't know what that meant. After our cuts had healed, I went down the stage and sat on my seat. Caine continued to do the same thing to the rest of us.

Brody suddenly popped up to the seat next to me, which is supposedly to be for Emma, who was still on the stage. "Sooo, your Caine's mate, yes?" 

Huh?

Yes. My wolf said in my head.

"How did you know?" I asked instead, I was curious on how.

"It was sort of obvious, he was like, growling in pleasure when you two did the blood compact."

I gulped, so that was what it was about. I thought it was because he didn't like making contact with me, since he had been ignoring me after all.

***

I was bored out of my mind. My wolf kept on bugging me. She was whining on how Caine kept ignoring us, she wanted to be near him, but I knew I couldn't do that.

Charlotte cheerfully went into my room, along with the others. She carefully checked the space between my neck and shoulder but saw no mark on it. "This is weird, mates usually mark their mates as soon as they can, especially Alpha's since they have more urge to do so."

When she saw my face falling, mainly because of my wolf whining, she immediately changed the topic, but I wasn't listening much. I didn't really understand why he was keeping his distance from me, so I decided to ask one of his brothers about this. Onto why he was ignoring me. 

I just wanted some sort of clarification, just to shut my wolf up.

So, after leaving and saying goodbye to them, I started making my way up to the 'Alpha's Hall'. Before I could get in, someone stopped me. "No one's allowed to go in without permission."

"Ehm, I just want to speak to-," I began but was interrupted by Caleb's head poking out of the door.

"Let her in."

Thanks for that.

The guard stepped out of my way and allowed me to go in. Caleb relaxed on the creamy couch, resting his head on his hands. "So, what do you want?"

What a nice way to start a conversation.

"Uhm, I'm just curious on why Caine keeps on ignoring me," I said, fiddling with my fingers out of nervousness. I wanted and didn't want to know the answer at the same time. I'm his other half, I deserve to know, right?

What if it was bad, really bad, that I probably would have regretted knowing it?

Caleb saw the mixed emotions on my face and didn't say anything until he saw the pain in my eyes.

"Don't get him wrong, he was ecstatic when he found out he had a mate, I don't know if one of us had mentioned this to you before but we are cursed. We pretty much can't have mates, but even if we did... we'd pretty much go insane once we would mark and complete the mating process with our mates, Caine's the first of us brothers to have a mate so I wouldn't know, but our father had the same condition, so he abused his mate."

I swallowed.

So this was why he kept avoiding me, he didn't want to go insane, didn't want to be crazy, didn't want to hurt me. This curse was the one that was keeping us apart. My wolf wanted to be with him very badly, I had to find a cure before I would go insane because of not being able to be with my mate for too long. Even if it costs my life.

I'll find a cure, but for now, I guess I could live like this for a longer while.

The End.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆