Chapter 16

Brayden

I can't believe this.

My hand instantly digs out my pager, and I open up the last message. I quickly dart my eyes from the screen then to the door plaque, and then to the two men. I'm sure my face has a similar expression as theirs. Confusion, surprise, and worry were all emotions that quickly passed over our faces.

With a brief look, I noticed Mr. Thompson was standing and his arms are crossed over his broad chest. Unlike earlier, his previously crip button-down was wrinkled beyond belief, with sweat stains lining down around his collar and chest. His hair had come loose between then and now, the gray and black strands now a tangled mess above his shoulders. Not to mention the look of fear that seemed to have settled on his expression.

Mr. Radcliffe was next to him, although to my surprise, was sitting in the hospital. He was currently bent over, his hands paused in the middle of what appeared to be tying his shoe. The bed beneath him was crumpled, looking like he had recently been lying there and is on his way out. The man was as intimidating as ever, but a look of happiness passed over his face at my arrival.

"Brayden, what are you doing here?" Damien asks, his expression getting more excited as the seconds ticked by, "Are you here to visit-"

"I think there's been a mistake," I quickly mumble, already beginning to type on my pager.

Me: In room 1001, but there isn't a child. Mr. Radcliffe and Mr. Thompson are here.

Dr. M: Odd...what do his patient forms say?

Stepping into the room, I make sure to deliberately ignore the two men as I get closer to them. I keep my eyes solely on the clipboard that is hanging next to the hospital bed, refusing to meet either man's gaze. From the corner of my vision, I notice Damien immediately straightens as I approach, but his large form quickly deflates as I don't bother to spare him a glance. Because of where it was, I am forced to stand between the two men. Having them much closer to me than I would have liked.

"How was your day?" he asks, softly.

My hand grabs the clipboard.

"Were you told I was here?" he sounds slightly hopeful. The bed creaks under his weight as his body shifts.

I page through the forms. My eyes quickly scanned over the different graphs and details, not really taking in the information, but looking for something specific.

"How was work?" his voice sounds a little closer, and I notice that he has scooted on the bed closer to me.

Still ignoring him, I finally find the page I'm looking for and furrow my brow in confusion.

I sigh, frustrated at the predicament I've been put in. "This is bullshit," I murmur to myself, as I dig through my pocket for my cellphone.

I'm so done being here, and the amount of time it takes for me to type this out on a pager is time away from coffee. I quickly find Dr. Monroe's contact and begin calling him. While the phone rings, I feel the side of Damien's leg brush against mine.

I look up at him and notice he has an eager expression on his face as my eyes meet his. Happy that his affection seems to have gained my attention. I scowl at him and watch as he feigns hurt, before quickly walking away to stand on the opposite side of the room.

"Hello, Brayden?" Dr. Monroe answers his phone, no doubt confused by my call.

"Hey, I know this isn't the proper protocol, but there seems to have been a major mistake," I explain, looking over the last page on the clipboard, "According to his papers, Mr. Radcliffe has refused further medical treatment and is currently waiting for release."