Chapter 36

Brayden

Lou and I didn't say much over the course of the drive over, but I wouldn't have said we parted with any animosity. I was quick to get out of the car and she was quick to leave and give me the time alone with my family that I needed.

Upon arriving, the little trailer had been a welcoming sight. I stood on the warped steps just in front of the screen door and the dingy metal siding brought a smile to my face. Even from outside, I could hear the wild sounds coming from just across the threshold. Screams and hollering echoed from the small space, while muffled taunts would momentarily silence the ruckus before a loud thud would follow and the sounds of screams would start again.

The broken screen stared back at me as I gripped the slightly rusted handle and opened the door.

There was a momentary pause at my entering.

The twins stood still on the faded futon we used as a couch in the living room. Their flushed faces and wild hair gave away that they had been previously jumping on the wilted cushion. It seemed they were in the middle of enacting a game as Charlotte was wielding an empty paper towel tube as a weapon over Charlie who was laying under the item with a plastic crown drooped over on one side of his head.

Just below them, Marcus was strewn on the floor laying down on his back. The little pre-teen did not seem to be disturbed by the previous rambunctiousness of the two children above him. He was nose-deep in one of his books. The colorful cover obscured the entirety of his face with only the edges of his glasses poking out from under the worn pages. It wasn't clear whether his lack of response was due to the shock of my arrival or the lack of insight to a change in his surroundings.

Off to the side, Kelsey was in the kitchen. Several paper plates with finished deli sandwiches were lined along the counter next to an opened bag of bread and empty plastic cups. A cutting board was set in front of her as it was clear she was in the midst of cutting up some apples to put on the plates of food; although, the task was momentarily forgotten as she lifted her attention to my arrival.

The only noise that could be heard was little Evie. She sat just beside Kelsey, strapped in her highchair as she wiggled in her seat with a red and angry face. Her loud grumblings of indignation gave way that she was unhappy to be forced to remain seated while the other kids played and the food was being prepared.

Just as sudden as the room came to a pause it was once again a loud, flutter of activity. Excited screeches filled the air, and I couldn't help but grin widely at the smiling faces around me. The twins each found one of my legs and latch onto them as they both tried to excitedly pull me in opposite directions. Kelsey gave me a small smile as she came over and side-hugged me, and I could feel how relieved she was to have me back home. Marcus remained on the floor but pulled his book just far enough from his face to give me a short greeting. By the time I made it over to Evie, she calmed down enough to give me a big grin, and as I picked her up from her chair...I realized she had peed through her diaper.

The rest of the day was completely hectic. All the kids were too excited at my return to sit down for lunch and we chose to instead eat outside. While the summer heat was coming to a close, it was still hot enough out to make all of us red-faced and sticky by the time our little picnic had finished.

The twins had proceeded to monopolize my afternoon by showing me everything they had done the past week. Charlie had brought out a plastic grocery bag that he had filled with rocks over the past week. We had to look at each one as he explained in detail what he thought was special about each discarded pebble. Charlotte had then come out with a pile of pictures she had been working on in class. Each drawing was described to me in great detail as she sat on my lap and told me the reasons why she chose to use particular colors.