18 Luca

I found her. By almost running her over in the street. I had been able to feel her drawing closer as I drove through the dark industrial park. I had not expected her to be running with superhuman speed towards me. As well as enhanced strength, for which I was currently grateful for. My heart had stopped when she exploded at full speed around the corner. Delia was right. She must have unknowingly drained power from the wolf shifter I saw trying to help her. Her eyes were still the beautiful color of the ocean. Her heart still beating in her chest, and she had recognized me as her mate and claimed me. Thanks to whatever she had borrowed from the biker wolf.

They had cut her hair, given her bangs and dressed her in cheap clothes making her look so much younger. Paired with her wide terrified eyes it was making my wolf whine. We should have done better. We should have told her everything in the diner. Never let her go back to Sara. I would do it so differently if I could do it over again.

My guilt at what she had suffered was overridden by the tidal wave of relief that she was here, alive and physically ok. I was stunned and overwhelmed and so fucking happy. For the first time I prayed to the goddess and meant every single word of thanks I gave. Not just lip service, something divine had to have intervened to keep her alive. For me to get another chance I didn't deserve.

I could feel Evie was less joyful, she was full of confusion and adrenaline and whatever it was that she took when she did what she did. She was about to crash and crash hard, I needed to get her out of here. The vampire could be hot on her heels. He would be able to run even faster than she just had. "Evie, we need to go come on." She was catatonic. Looking at me like she couldn't decide if I was real or not. I knew Melody, or Raven's elite teams were on the way to rout the vampire nest. They shouldn't be too far behind me. They were accustomed to scrambling to action on short notice.

I helped to lift her up into the raised cab. Buckling her in when she didn't move to do it herself. Running full speed around the truck. Throwing it in reverse to make a quick turn before driving too quickly out of the industrial park. Tires screaming against the pavement. Towards Lark's family's pack.

I tried to talk to Evie the whole time. Her eyes were staring a million miles ahead of her while she worried at her fingernails, picking non existent hang nails until they bled. Looking down and watching as the small wounds healed themselves. Only to do it all over again. I just kept telling her I was sorry, that I loved her, that I would explain everything soon.

"The nightmare won't end." She was in shock, muttering to herself like I wasn't even here. "The carousel never stops turning. I want to stop." Were the only reply to my attempts to get her to come back to me. Over and over she wished for the nightmare to stop. To wake up.

I kept driving us, first across the city then out the opposite side of town from where she had been taken. Turning into a back country road. We were greeted at the humble looking farmers market stand that signaled the entrance to the pack lands. Enforcers disguised as farm hands standing watch. The air around the entrance always felt disturbing. Like it wanted to push you away. I stopped, told them who I was and that Lark had said she was going to let her sister, the Leading Luna, know we were coming.

One quick mindlink later, the night time farm hands who definitely were not blending in or fooling any but the most naive, waved us through. Welcoming us to enter. I was expecting to finally meet the infamous female Alpha. Elijah's sister in law, instead I was greeted by Delia, standing next to a side by side.

"I'm so glad you found her, the power she borrowed is almost gone now. You should get her to bed. Follow me, I had a cottage set up for you both." Delia climbed into her all terrain vehicle, strapping on a helmet and signaling us to follow her.

A quick couple minutes driving on well maintained pack roads and we were at a small village of nearly identical tiny houses. I got out of the truck, Evie wasn't moving. Still whispering about wanting the nightmare to stop. I got out of the vehicle and all I could scent was magic and dragons in the air around us.

I was stunned for a moment until I felt something like a sizzle, from Evie as she slumped back in the chair, dead asleep. The last of her stolen power had faded away leaving her with nothing in reserve.

Now that I knew, I could feel her leeching my own strength through the bond. Just a trickle. But it was there and very very real. I scooped her up out of the truck, overjoyed when she snuggled closer into my chest. Body relaxing as I held her.

"This way," Delia's voice was calm and gentle as she led us to a cabin on the perimeter of this fairly new looking little village. Unlocking the door and handing me the keys. "I know you guys have a lot to talk about first; she is going to need a crash course on magic sooner rather than later." Delia pulled some papers from her back pocket, "Here is a map of the pack lands, Melody's home and mine are both marked, along with the pack house. On the back are some contacts for me, Melody, Raven's office, the clinic..." Delia looked at us, briefly nibbling on her lower lip before she shook her head as if clearing it. "She will be OK, these grounds are spelled to be safe, the vampires can not cross, there are clothes, food, toiletries already stocked. If you need anything else just call OK?" I nodded, barely able to focus on Delia when I had Evie in my arms.

"Tell her everything as soon as she wakes up Luca." A command, not a request. Again I nodded, I wouldn't keep making the same mistakes over and over. I would do better. Delia left and I was finally alone with a sleeping Evie. The cottage was a simple single open room. A cozy wood stove; With wing chairs in one corner, a small kitchen in one corner, and a large bed with a washroom off the back. I pulled back the covers with one hand, gently lowering Evie and tucking her in.

I wanted to change her out of the clothes that smelled like another shifter, and like death from the vampire. I didn't though, I didn't know Evie, not well enough yet. I didn't want to give her a single reason to hate me more than she already should after everything that happened since I found her. I was desperate for her to love me, someone to be mine. So I could be hers.

Her feet were dirty from running barefoot. Thankfully they were uninjured. Perfect, unbroken skin, thanks to the shifters magic she had stolen. I went to the washroom filling a basin with warm soapy water and some washcloths and towels. Returning to the bed, I untucked just her feet and gently washed the dark road dirt from her skin. She barely stirred the entire time she was out so deeply.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to sleep in case she woke up and bolted again. According to what Lark had told me, there was no safer spot in North America than on her family's land. Evie needed to stay here, even if it was just long enough for me to tell her the truth finally, and for Delia to help with being a Pixie. And for Rocket to be in a dustbin.

If she wanted to reject me and run after that, I would let her. I just had to hope that the goddess knew what she was doing when she paired me with Evie. That Evie would want to stay. With me.

My hand found the mark her blunt teeth had left on my neck. For just a moment they had been just sharp enough to claim me. It tingled and reacted like a normal claim mark. Sending a finger of pleasure down my spine, started butterflies in my belly. I had no idea how a claim made with borrowed power would work or if it would last. I hoped it would stay. For a moment she had recognized me as her mate even if she didn't know what that meant. It was a start. I could build from that, she had felt it, even for just a moment she had felt it too.

Certain that I couldn't be trusted to wake if she awoke first I dragged one of the wing chairs over to watch Evie sleep. Making a large, strong pot of coffee, I sat my vigil. Ready to confess everything the moment she was ready. To stand guard while she slept until then.