20 Evie

I was lying to myself as much as Luca. I had seen her do worse. She might have even considered this just putting me back where she found me. Because she was done playing with her toy. Sara was brutal when she wasn't getting her way. I just had one question. She had tolerated lots from me over the years.

"Why?" I didn't understand. I had a strange infatuation with Luca. I had liked guys before. Sara had tolerated it. Constantly every few months trying to encourage me to join her in bed, have a threeway. Be with her. I couldn't ever pretend to be something I wasn't. I looked at Luca. "Why?" I asked, firmer this time. He knew way more than I did and he wasn't talking fast enough.

"Because Sara wanted you, and I was made to love you." His fingers danced up and down my arms. Shimmers of pleasure flowed from anywhere his skin touched mine. "Because she knew you could love me back." I looked up into his deep shifting hazel eyes, not only could I see how earnest he was, it was like I could feel it. Feel how strongly he believed. Like he knew I was his soulmate. My hand was on my neck. Where he had bitten me. The feelings all intensified, my belly tightened with a coil of arousal. He smiled, a shiver of his own went through his body. Matching and in time with mine.

"It is like soul mates. You feel it, I know you do." He was so handsome, and felt so good wrapped around me. I was so conflicted by everything I was feeling. Part of me wanted to give in to his sweet words. To let this nightmare be a dream while I could.

I couldn't give in, that would be giving up. Everything in my past told me to not trust anything. I did not get happy endings. My eyes searching his face. He responded to my unspoken thoughts."I am a werewolf and the Moon Goddess has fated us to be mates. You complete me. Sara knew she could never compete with our bond. She was ready to let you die to keep you from me." Luca was angry, so angry I could feel it burning inside him. It was strange, his body was relaxed, there was nothing outward to show how mad he was at Sara, it really did feel like I could sense his inner thoughts and feelings. The deep ones he didn't want to show.

Even though this was still the strangest nightmare I had ever had. Vampires and werewolves weren't real. I stayed curled up in the safety of Lucas's arms. Leaning into him. Letting the smell of him fill my nose until I was practically purring. Ignoring all the wrong things. If this nightmare didn't want to stop then I would roll with it until I finally woke up. I remembered being hit in the head. Then Luca driving, and a car crash. This wasn't real, this was a coma nightmare. "If this isn't a nightmare, if this is real, how am I not dead? I remember being pretty certain I was about to die." It had felt awful. If I was going to wake up and feel that bad again, maybe waking up wasn't worth it.

Luca leaned forward and brought the breakfast closer to us. He started to offer me little bites fruits and cheese, tenderly taking care of me. I let him. "Rocket gave you vampire blood, it can heal practically anything once ingested, only risk is that you might become a vampire if something else kills you before it's out of your system." Nightmare rules. I was trying to be delicate and eat the little bites he was feeding me. Until I realized how bloody starving I was after a couple mouthfuls and moved myself to lean over the table. Still in Lucas's lap. Because it was the only place I felt safe since my nightmare started. Eating nearly as much as Luca had on our first midnight not a date meeting.

Once I was done eating. Horribly embarrassed by the volume I had consumed and the bulge over my belly to prove it I pulled myself out of Luca's arms, telling him I was going to shower. Asking if there were any other clothes I could wear. He went to a chest of drawers and brought me over an entire change of clothes, right down to panties and a bra in my size. I looked at him strangely. "Being in a strange place that has clothes just my size doesn't dissuade me from thinking this is still a nightmare." I told Luca before slipping into the washroom to shower. Hating to see his face fall when I still didn't believe this was real life. I hated seeing him look so defeated. Only making me more conflicted.