Chapter 1: To where it all began

In the woods, layed a house surrounded by trees, grass, and flowers. In the house, there was 28-year-old Jasper Kaylock, a cryptozoologist who has keeled and taken care of cryptic animals. But is known to be bashful and friendly. And 32-year-old Rachel Pidgley, a chef known to cook and shop for supplies.

But since they lived in the woods, their friends they know give them supplies. There is a reason why they were living in a house in the woods, that was because of Rachel's 7-year-old daughter: Iris.

Iris was not like other children growing up. She would follow the rules, helped her parents even though she was still at a young age, and made her parents proud. However, Iris never knew about her real father, and the only person that she had as her half dad was Jasper. Rachel and Jasper would tell her stories about The Society for Arcane Science and her father. They would tell her about how he would get into trouble a lot and how her mother said that he was a gentleman unlike any other. Iris calls Jasper: Jaspy. Now for him personally, he loved that nickname. If it makes her feel comfortable, then it'll be comfortable for him. But that wouldn't be long when tragedy would strike through the heart.

Three days ago,

"Iris! Wake up!" Her mother hollered, "I prepared breakfast!" Iris was in her room, getting up from her slumber. "Coming, mom!" She hollered back. Rachel made pancakes with some maple syrup for Jasper, and blueberry pancakes for her daughter and herself. Setting the plates down on the table, she prepares the tea.

Iris makes it into the living room/kitchen to see her mother, but no Jasper, "Where's Jaspy?" Iris questions. "I'm not sure. I guess in Old London to pick up some stuff." After she said that, Jasper came in when he opened the door. "I heard that." Jasper smirked.

"Jaspy!" Iris said in excitement as she hugged him. "Hi Iris! Missed me, did you?" The kettle squeaked as the tea was done. Rachel grabbed the kettle and placed it on the table. "You two better eat up, those pancakes don't want to be left disgusted." Soon Iris and Jasper sat at their table and began to eat their breakfast, while Rachel filled the empty cups with tea. She soon sat in her chair, sets the kettle down, and ate alongside with them.

"Jasper, where were you? I thought I said that some of our friends would bring us supplies and gifts." Rachel asked. "Well... I wanted to get something I found in one of the stores, just for Iris." That made Iris surprised as she finished her pancakes. "Really? For me?" Iris questioned. "Of course. Hold on." Jasper gets up, "You might love it."

Jasper goes outside, and when he came back, he brought something that made Iris gasp. "Behold, the wheelharp!" Jasper said. "Unbelievable. Jasper, how were you able to buy it?" Rachel asked, "It was for sale. I found it when I was about to get some new clothes. I couldn't let it be all alone. And in the end, I got it just for Iris. Isn't it a beauty?"

"Now that you have explained it, it sure is. What do you think Iris?" Rachel asks her daughter. Iris looks at the instrument, she hadn't seen an instrument so beautiful before. "It's beautiful. Jaspy, can I try it out?" Iris asked in excitement, Jasper chuckles. "Well of course. I did get it to make it special for you, give it a try." Jasper replied.

So, Iris did. She uses her fingers and presses on the keys. Somehow this surprised Jasper and Rachel. Not because she was giving it a try, but because she was playing music. Almost as if she knew how to play it. It was unbelievable, unlike anything they have ever seen. She then stopped playing the wheelharp, to which silence was taken.

"Unbelievable. Iris, you were able to play it without a single mistake." Rachel broke the silence. "How are you feeling?" "Better than ever mommy." Iris replied.

"Iris? Are those... rabbit ears sticking out of your head?" Jasper questioned, but soon realized. "Wait, could it be?" Iris was confused. She didn't know what he was talking about. Rabbit ears sticking out of her head. Strange. So she looked in the mirror that was close to her, and it made her gasp. She was transforming!

Her hair was trsanforming, and her hair color changed to a type of purple. It surprised her parents even more when she changed. As she looked at her parents, they saw that she had now an eye mask on her. "Oh my goodness. Iris, you're a rabbit child!" Rachel swooped down, picked her up, and Rachel spun around with her daughter in her arms. "Oh my Iris! We knew the legend was true! You are one of them!" Rachel cheered while Iris laughed.

Rachel stopped spinning and sets her daughter down. "This must be the best day of our lives!" Jasper said excitedly. Rachel gasps, "We have to tell the others about this! They will be so pleased when we show Íris to them!" "You're right. We should do that right now!" Jasper replied.

"T-Today!?" "Of course! She'll see the lodgers, Henry, Robert, and even her own father." Jasper explained. "I'm going to see my dad!?" Iris said excitedly. "Yep." Iris hugs Jasper. "You will see your dad for the first time in 7 years." Rachel hugs with them. "That's right Iris. When we get there, you will meet everyone in The Society."

Jasper lets go of Iris and Rachel steps back. "Well then, let's get ready! I haven't seen our old friend in 7 years!" Rachel said happily. "I'm with you." Jasper replied. "Let's get to it Iris." "Okay Jaspy!" Iris replied.

Rachel went into the room her and Jasper would sleep. Her smile turned into a worried expression. "I really hope the roads won't be hard for us there." Rachel said to herself. She found some paper and decided to write it as a letter. Once she was done, she hid it in her pocket and grabbed some of hers and Jasper's stuff for the trip to The Society.

Meanwhile, Jasper was taking the stuff in the carriage. "Are you sure you want to keep it all in here?" The horseman asked. "Trust me. I want my half daughter to get to know the others, and I can't leave her stuff behind." "And our stuff as well." Rachel interrupted.

Jasper turns his head around to see Rachel with their stuff. "That didn't take long." Jasper said. "You know I'm the one who would be expeditious. Maybe even quicker as a wanted criminal." Rachel added.

Meanwhile, Iris was getting ready for her big day. She was so excited to see her true father after 7 years. As she was about to head out, she looked at her room one more time. "I am going to miss this place. Just you wait daddy, I'm sure you will be happy to see me." Before closing the door.