Chapter 4

"Em?"

"Hmmm?"

Emma didn't spare Sierra a glance as she dismantled all her surveillance equipment, leaving no trace that she had been in that apartment.

"Are these cameras in my apartment?"

She froze, her eyes finding Sierra, who pointed to the monitor that showed a live feed from her bedroom. Emma nodded. "Hmmm,"

Sierra stared at her incredulously. "So...last night..."

"I saw nothing."

She pulled the power cord and watched the screen go black before tossing it in a bag with the other stuff. She dragged the bag to the door with Sierra behind her.

"Okay good. 'Cause that would've been so embarrassing."

"Why? You have an impressive body. You should be proud of it." Emma said, though she had no time to engage in that conversation. Her pace was quick through the apartment, entering room after room with Sierra on her heels. She didn't have much to pack since she never brought much with her anyway.

Sierra's face turned tomato red. "I thought you saw nothing!!!"

Emma's eyes scrutinised the blonde. She wore faded blue jeans with a striped shirt and a grey blazer. Her Jeans were tight enough to emphasise all her curves even while the blazer tried to hide it. Emma smiled and looked away again as she finished shoving everything inside the bag. "You're right in front of me, Sierra, and I'm not blind. I can tell an impressive body when I see one."

The blonde blushed, turning towards the bag that rested by the door. "Should I help carry some of these?"

The bag barely moved when she tried lifting it. Emma rushed towards her, taking it from her and resting it on the floor again. Sierra rubbed her shoulder with a soft "Ow" escaping her lips.
"You should not carry that. It's way too heavy, even for me." Emma pointed to the bag with her belongings, which was much lighter. "Carry that one."

Sierra nodded, grabbing the bag from the bed. Emma grabbed the others and left the apartment with Sierra on her heels. She stashed everything into the backseat of a random car she hot-wired and sped away from the curb.

It's ten a.m. and classical music is playing. She listened to it, letting the melodies trickling from the violin seduce her. The song was one of Beethoven's, performed by an orchestra instead of just the piano. It was lovely, but Sierra scowled at it. "Classical music?"

Emma chuckled at her. "Well, someone doesn't appreciate talented musicians."

"I appreciate them just fine, but it will put me to sleep like a lullaby."

Emma watched her with a smile. Through all of this chaos, she remained level-headed and trusting. Her life was literally in Emma's hands, and that didn't even seem to bother her. Then being strangers should've made Sierra have her walls up, yet she didn't. At least not the walls Emma expected. "Sierra."

Sierra's eyes locked with Emma's, waiting for Emma to continue. "I'm a stranger to you. We've never met before, yet you trust me. Why?"

Sierra's expression was unreadable as she studied Emma's, trying to understand the reason behind the question. But Emma's face gave nothing away as she continued. "And please don't tell me it's because I work for your father."

Sierra smiled lightly and glanced out the window. Her elbow rested on the windowpane and her index finger wedged between her teeth as she thought. It took a few moments before she turned back to Emma with only a shrug as her response.