That Was Weird

The harsh sound of my alarm pierced my ears, the temptation to stay asleep far stronger than the need to leave the nest I had made in my bed

The harsh sound of my alarm pierced my ears, the temptation to stay asleep far stronger than the need to leave the nest I had made in my bed. A load groan escaped my lips as I slapped the top of my alarm to turn it off. I reluctantly rolled out of bed, yawning as I walked in front of the window. The light blinded me as my pupils hadn't adjusted to it yet, but after a while, the view revealed to me was beautiful. A couple birds were flying across the lake and the grounds were empty. I smiled to myself, maybe today wasn't going to be terrible.

-

"Pick three laboratory experiments from the project list and report on them every five weeks. The first twenty questions at the end of chapter one are due tomorrow." Our teacher's voice droned on.

I turned to Neil, my eyebrows furrowed and mouth open at the unfairness of our Chemistry teacher. He shook his head in agreement, a collective groan spreading across the classroom like a Mexican wave.

-

"Agricolam, Agricola, Agricolae-" Mr McAllister repeated, using an obnoxious pointer to show us each word on the black board. His voice gradually droned out into my subconscious. I turned my head to look out the window, my eyes slowly closing as I counted the birds that flew by.

I felt a sudden hand slap my back, I awoke, startled and confused. Mr McAllister sent me a look, suddenly noticing my existence. I gave him a sweet smile, pretending to pick up a pen I had dropped. I turned around to my attacker. Charlie sat behind me, smiling proudly. I felt my face flush red and screw up from both embarrassment and irritation . I also noticed Pitts muffling his laughter from beside me with a fake cough. I rolled my eyes, focusing back onto the boring subject Latin just so happened to be.

-

I watched Hager walk sternly up and down each row of our desks, lecturing us on homework expectations, "Your study of trigonometry requires absolute precision. Anyone failing to turn in any homework assignment will be penalized one point off their final grade. Let me urge you now not to test me on this point."

I shifted in my seat, panic rising along with my heart rate. They had really upped their game since last year, and I barely topped all my classes then. This was the year I really needed to focus on. It was the difference between Oxford and Harvard or being a housewife with a bunch of kids.

-

"Meeks, I think I'm going to die." I stated, getting shoved by a passing student.

"I think even I'll struggle this year," he responded, a frown on his face.

"If you're gonna struggle Meeks, we're all screwed." Pitts exclaimed, moving to stand next to me. I smiled at him gratefully, no longer getting pushed around by random pupils passing by.

"It's my speciality next boys, the fantastic subject of English," I remarked, fiddling with the books and binders I had clutched in my hands.

"New teacher too," Meeks mentioned, leading Pitts and I into our classroom.