To Indeed Be A God

"I am absolutely battered," Charlie whined, looking dramatically at the sky as if it was the last time he'd see light

"You do have some eye bags coming in," I said with a nod, pointing at them with my fingers.

"Knox dragged me to go see that Chris girl at like, 7:00 in the morning," Charlie sighed, wiping the sleep from his eyes.

"He went round to her house?" I asked, suddenly shocked at the boy's bravery.

"Christ no, we went to some odd parade her school was holding; we left as soon as Knox saw her in Chet's arms, bridal style." Charlie explained, shaking his head.

"Just me, or is that kind of crazy behaviour." I said, shivering at the thought of someone stalking me.

"Nothing can be called crazy in the name of love," Charlie announced, pressing a hand to his heart obnoxiously.

"Geez- since when were you a romantic." I scoffed, folding my arms.

"Since forever, Bennet." He retorted, the two of us watching as Keating stopped at some bleachers.

All the boys were dressed in their PE kit as instructed by the teacher, I hadn't been given the privilege of one so Keating said I'd be fine to borrow anyone's spares. I felt quite left out at first, so I was thankful my friends could sacrifice some kit for me. I had Todd's trousers (we were nearly the same height), Meeks' shirt and Charlie's Welton sweater paired with some of my dirty converse. I couldn't borrow anything off of Neil or Pitts due to their obscene height so I had to make due with what I had. Our teacher was dressed in another pair of his favourite trousers and a red tie. He had brought his coat and hat and overall looked surprisingly put together. He carried his somewhat formal briefcase all the way outside with a bag of balls on his shoulder. I watch as he tossed the bag to the side, setting his case down neatly onto the seats in front of him.

"Now, devotees may argue that one sport or game is inherently better than another. For me, sport is actually a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel. I want you all to come over here and take a slip of paper and line up single file," our teacher instructs, handing out small slips of paper to each of us.

"Mr. Meeks, time to inherit the Earth." Keating says to Meeks, grinning widely.

"Mr. Pitts, rise above your name," the man says, sympathetically patting his shoulder.

I giggled watching Pitt's reaction, I couldn't tell if he was shocked at the teacher's audacity or just sad.

"Ms Bennet, something rather fitting," Keating offered me a slip, winking at me before disappearing to hand out more slips.

I grin, slightly exited for whatever the man had in mind.

-

Our English teacher blew hard on his whistle, the sound coming out clean and sharp.