[37 romance in the air]

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ REFRESHER
[37] thirty-seventh chapter
episode thirty-six, season 5
-narrative
word count 3500
>In which the islanders 
adjust to life in the villa
with loved-up couples.

The day soon turned to evening as the late sun set in the glowing sky, allowing the islanders to prep themselves for a hopefully uneventful night ahead of them.

"I don't want youse to hate me, I really don't," Maura sighed as she sat on the yellow beanbag, her first drink of the night in her hand whilst Summer, Anna, Molly and Lucie listened with intent and curiosity

Furrowing her brows, Summer responded, "Why would we hate you?" It had hardly been a few hours into the day, however, so much had happened already: Anna and Tony had tried to clear the air between them calmly, only for their conversation to turn into a heated debate once again, Amber, Michael and Joanna had sat down to try and clear their own relationship drama, all while Maura thought it'd be best to pull Curtis for their first official chat.

"Yeah, why, what's happened?" Anna added, her face showing equal amounts of perplexion.

"I told Curtis I have feelings for him," Maura came right out with it, trying to suppress a cheeky grin as an air of awkward shock and tension was passed between herself, Anna, Summer and Molly — partly due to how hard they were trying to compute what Maura has just told them.

Lucie saw the empty space as an opportunity to add, "But she told me from the start, like, she didn't wanna do anything because he's with Amy."

"I've said it from week one," Maura agreed, somewhat unsurely, "And I wouldn't have ever went in for him because they were so strong. And I didn't wanna start spreading it 'round the villa, because it's disrespectful."

Summer scrunched her face up, still confused by Maura's intentions, "But you think now is a good time? Whilst they're both going through a bit of a messy breakup, let alone it being Amy's best heartbreak, and not to mention Curtis has just been proven to have a wanderin' eye," She scoffed, unsure of how the girls' excuses justified the brunette's actions.

"Exactly, do you not think you could have at least gone to Amy first?" Anna agreed with Summer, putting Maura on the spot ever so slightly.

Glancing over to where Amy sat with a few of the others at the firepit, Maura shrugged, "Right now, I don't wanna hurt Amy."

"And you think not telling her is gonna hurt her any less?" Summer countered her quickly, "I mean, she values you as a friend, Maura. Not going behind her back about this is the least you could have done."

Cringing slightly, the girl tried her best to pick up her words, "Aye, maybe, but in the long run, I believe I would've hurt her more by being straight up about it, 'cause you girls know how blunt I can be, and you know how sensitive Amy can get over stuff, too."