3: Lupa

Chiron POV

Percy Jackson is one of the best swimmers that I have ever trained. Considering I work with hundreds of kids, this statement holds volume. I like Perseus because he's skilled and talented, of course, but he is also driven and passionate. 

A lot of teenagers refuse to listen; they can be arrogant or they feel invincible. Percy isn't like that. 

Instead, Percy always acted to make others feel good. He was loyal that way. Percy listened to my advice and applies it to the sport of swimming. That's a very important quality for an athlete. I am proud of how far he has become.

In my opinion, Percy is destined for greatness. 

That's why I was going out of my way to meet with Lupa Wolfe. She was a formal classmate and rival of mine from when I was in high school and college. More importantly, Lupa Wolfe is a prior Olympian who participated in the 1990s Olympics. 

Now, Lupa trains other athletes. 

"Chiron Bruner. It's been a long time, my old friend." 

Lupa was smiling as I turned around. She was so agile, and I hadn't even heard her walking behind me. I was sitting at Demeter's cafe, analyzing the other customers and their coffee choices. I smiled while shaking hands with Lupa.  

"Who are you calling old? We both are the same age," I replied lightly. 

"Not based on our appearances."

Lupa laughed while gesturing at my beard. I sighed while scratching my neck. The beard was a fashion statement more than anything else, but I know that it makes me look older than I am. Perseus says the same thing. I don't mind though. 

On the other hand, Lupa had flowing black hair and strong build. Years of swimming had made her into a muscular female athlete. She could probably bench a grown man. 

"So, what do I owe the honor?" Lupa asked. 

"I want you to see a swimmer of mine," I said, wasting no time. Lupa sighed as expected. She sat down across from me and ordered her own drink. "Do you know how many requests I get to see a swimmer, coach them, and sponsor them for the Olympics?"

"Trust me, you haven't seen anyone like Perseus," I confirmed. 

Lupa's thick eyebrows flicked up. She seemed impressed by my confidence while taking a sip of her frappuccino. Then, Lupa grabbed her phone and texted something. After showing me her screen, it became apparent that she was showing me Olympic qualifying times. 

I smiled. Obviously, she would be interested in Percy's times. 

"Percy medaled in the FINA Summer Nationals, and he's only recently turned 18 years old. Regardless of his age, he has already hit those times you're showing me," I stated confidently. "You can watch him online if you want."

"Skillset?" Lupa asked. 

"Excellent form and technique," I answered. 

"Times?"

"Competitive. Already Olympic qualifying times. With the right guidance and sponsorship, Perseus can go quite far. He has a real shot."

Lupa continued to shoot questions and I answered them with equal rigor. While I have faith in Percy, I'm not blind. He has a lot more work to do if he wants to compete in next summer's US Olympic trials and do well. Lupa's coaching and sponsorship as a previous Olympic swimmer herself is exactly what Percy needs. 

Lupa competed in the Olympics in the 1990s. She didn't medal during her time, but just making it to the Olympics is a great feat. I was one of her biggest supporters at the time. Now, I aim to cheer for Percy.