Chapter 18. Arrogance

When I returned to the palace, I was on cloud nine. The kisses I shared with the grand duke were like a spell that placed me under a daze.

My mind was drunk from the memory of our intimacy. So when I came to report to Lady Camellia, she took notice of my distraction.

"Your lips are swollen." She commented while slumped on her seat as usual. "I only told you to relay a message to Kaja, not to french kiss him."

My cheeks reddened. "He's not the one I kissed!"

"Heh, so you did kiss someone." The villainess drawled with a grin. "How naughty, Isabelle."

At that point, I just wanted the ground to swallow me from shame. Fortunately, Lady Camellia didn't care too much that her maid was out there making love with god-knows-who. She just shrugged it off.

"So, how did it go with Kaja?" she inquired.

"He refused at first, but the mention of the Elven Silk seemed to make him think twice, my lady."

"Good job." The lady praised me. "For now, all we can do is wait. I am hoping for him to come right away, but it might take a few days or even weeks."

I don't know what exactly she needs from Kaja, but I dared not to ask. Lady Camellia was also a transmigrator, but she remembers the exact contents of the novel, unlike me. I trust her.

Contrary to her expectations, the blacksmith's son came to the palace the next day. Kaja was clad in a tawny shirt that looked good on his tanned skin, along with his dark trousers and working boots.

"I heard that you wanted to see me, my lady."

He's the type of man that girls with daddy issues would find attractive. A bit old, yet fine like wine.

"You came." Lady Camellia crooned in satisfaction.

The villainess gestured everyone to get out of her chambers, except for me. All the maids complied quietly and the three of us were left in the room.

"I only came out of curiosity." Kaja pointed out. "What your maid told me was interesting. Based on what she said, it seemed like you knew me."

"Yes. That's exactly why I summoned you, Kaja." The lady crossed her legs intimidatingly. "I know your secret, and I want you to make me a dress."

I blinked consecutive times. Did I hear it right?

The two of them engaged into a staring contest, not backing down from each other's provocation. When I sensed that the silence would last longer than it should, I decided to break it and spoke.

"My lady," I hesitantly raised my hand. "Why do you want a blacksmith to make you a dress?"

"She's right." Kaja said in agreement. "I only forge weapons. Sadly, I have no interest in fashion."

"Oh, my good sire. Why else would you be here if you weren't interested? Isn't it because of the Elven Silk?" Lady Camellia smirked at him.

Our guest flinched on his spot, unable to rebut.

"We both know rather than sharpening blades, you're much happier when weaving fabric." She interjected. "You came because of the Elven Silk, which dressmakers could only dream of seeing."

"Don't give me that crap!" Kaja fumed.

"Watch your mouth." Lady Camellia warned. "Do you want me tattling to your father that his son is more interested in ball gowns than swords, huh?"

The smithy's heir inhaled sharply at the villainess' threat, faltering slightly. "What do you want?"

Lady Camellia seemed pleased that she managed to blackmail the poor man. It's like she had him dancing on her palm. How cunning. Behind her calming appearance was a true master of wits.