Chapter 73: Callista

CALLISTA

When Runa told me that she wanted to complete my story, my sister meant that she would like to honor my name while also making it her own.

She decided to adapt my sketches into a novel.

Her ultimate dream was to be a published author. But for some reason, she didn't want to achieve that feat alone; she wanted to do it with me.

And so, I worked closely with Runa by illustrating that novel. I could tell that she was earnest about it, because I knew my sister. Once she had set her mind, she was going to get it done no matter what.

As a student, she had ample time to write, but she still made sure not to neglect her studies. She was smart and responsible, and I couldn't have been prouder. So I supported her in every way I can.

I worked as a maid during the day and practiced my drawing skills at night. After all, I wasn't an active artist, so my illustrations were shitty.

"Oh, welcome back." Runa greeted me indolently.

It was already past eleven and I just got home, but Runa was still up and lazily slumped on her desk.

I walked up to her and caressed her back.

What's up?

My sister straightened her back and waved her manuscript to my face. "I'm going to name the villainess after me, sis. What do you think?"

That's cringe, I mouthed.

"H-Hey! I'm gonna change her family name, so it won't be that bad." Runa spoke defensively. "Her surname will be Camellia, my favorite flower!"

That's still cringe, I reiterated.

She pouted. "But people will either call her Ruth or Lady Camellia. Everyone calls me Runa, so no one would know about my self-insert, right?"

I couldn't help but smile. Despite growing up, she's still as childish as ever. It's always the little things that matter to her, nitpicking over trivial matters.

I was kidding, I gestured to her.

"Tee-hee!" She hugged my waist. "I'm gonna name one of the characters after you, too. You should be the one closest 1 the villainess! Is that okay, sis?"

I gently combed her hair with my fingers.

Do what you want, I told her.

Do what you want. As long as you are happy and healthy, you can do anything you want, my child.

---

A year passed just like that. Our lives, though quite uneventful, were like a stream with a stable flow.

Or so, that's what I thought.

It was supposed to be a normal day. I was busy with my tasks as a maid when my employer gave me the telephone and I received dreadful news.

"Your sister collapsed on the way to school."

At that moment, I was beyond mortified.

I don't even remember how I managed to get to the hospital. I faintly recall myself running as if my life depended on it, anxious and desperate.

When I arrived, my sister was in deep slumber.

And the doctor said that she was terminally ill.