Chapter ■ 22| Quarrel Hearts #3

"(y/n)!" Infinite said in alarm as the pulse escaped from the ruby etched from his chest booms, creating this shattering explosion that send both of us flying further from the tunnel, leading us deeper down from the sewers.

As much as I hold dearly the chameleon but the gush of water thanks to the explosion caused the pouch full of money and the chameleon escaped from my grasp sinking deep into the water.

"Espio!" I hollered as the water had now started to move like a wave while the depths become deep.

Although my back is searing in agony from the explosion I didn't let a single moment to barge it in, my mind was focused on the chameleon who haven't shown his head above the water. with a gulp, I took a deep breath and decided to succumb away from these dirty waters and began diving in, looking for the money and the Chameleon, Although, I wasn't a swimmer, but with this adrenaline formed inside of me, it pumps me to dive deep in the water. It irks me with the murky color of this water it is harder to see anything that flows beneath, as the explosion also led to some debris flowing throughout the vicinity.

Come on (y/n)! you can do this!

I tried to motivate myself as my keen eye finally found the pouch, in a such miracle the money is still in it. I took a second to grasp some air before delving again from the rushing water in hopes to find the chameleon.

with keen eyes as my heart began pounding thinking as the seconds passed not finding him, he may have been drowning. I kept my eyes sharp, as I can feel my oxygen is running out, but I can't get up now! I have swam deeper I can't let minutes waste not being able to find Espio.

I continue to move debris out of the way, as I can feel my lungs getting tighter, biting my lip, my panicking urges me to desperately pushes rocks and wood away until I noticed the familiar purple hue tail.

gurgling in fatigue, Espio noticed my figure half-eyed open.

"(y/n)," He mumbled in the water weakly as I expected as I dove in towards him, grabbing his arms as I drag him from above the water, letting him sit against the cold pavement, both breathing harshly.

"I... I'm sor-"

"No! you shouldn't be sorry for yourself! you've done this all just for me Espio!" I felt tears escape down to my cheeks as he stares at me with half eyed look.

"This was my fault! Infinite is on me not you! and I just led you to become... like... this!" I hysterically pointed to all the wounds he dealt.

"But it is my job to protect you" He uttered in pain.

"No! Espio... why are you so in from protecting me? I'm a villain Espio! I carry this stupid virus, I can hurt anyone, I can hurt you!" I cried.

"I know you just want to help me get back home Espio... but... this is too much!" I plea with tears pouring down to my eyes at his state.

he stared at me in guilt, arching his body down as if he was holding back something.

"I-It's because..."

he continues to stare down, having difficulty uttering his words, my heart shatters as I look at him, I didn't expect an intimidating chameleon, to look so... broken.

"I-..."

"*chuckle* found you." The shrilling deep voice echoed behind our ears as Infinite had located us again.

"wha- Infinite! stop! let me go!" I hollered as Infinite had taken my arms now more tightly than before.