𝑳𝒚𝒌𝒐𝒔

Aster's room had two king beds, one in each back corner. There was a large desk at the foot of the one farthest from the door with a china lamp and a mess of paperwork on it. Probably all the construction papers. 

His walls were a plain beige color, and the beds were decorated with tan and white blankets and pillows. There was an arched window above each headrest, looking over a section of the forest. His room was on the third floor of the building, which meant that the only way out of here was through the door, and now Aster was standing in front of it, blocking my way out. He knew I still felt like I needed to run, and was keeping me caged up in the tiny room. I watched him warily, but that seemed to annoy him.

"Don't look at me like that," Aster snapped.

"Like what?"

"Like I'm an enemy. I'm trying to help me."

"You bit me."

"We've all been bit!" Aster protested angrily. "I- you know what, never mind. Be a good boy, go sit on my bed."

I crossed my arms. "Not until you stop calling me that."

"It's hard not to, it seems to get your attention."

Aster walked over to his bed and laid down, crossing his arms behind his head and stretching out on the neatly-made mattress. I wondered if he made it himself, or if they had maids here. Human maids working for werewolves seemed kind of... illegal. I wondered if the construction workers were humans as well, working twenty-four seven for the wolves. I had so many questions, the only question was if Aster would let me ask them all. 

Aster closed his eyes briefly. "Ugh... I've been up for two days, watching your sorry ass." Aster beckoned. "Come here, I want to sleep."

"So why do you need me?"

"I slept better when I was with you. But that was not cuddling. And neither is this," he added pointedly. I rolled my eyes and walked over to the bed. I sat down on the edge of it and crossed my arms, sniffing every couple seconds to make out the different scents of the room. There was a strong female presence in here, and anger. Sort of smelled like an argument? How did arguments have a smell? I could smell Aster, strong and musky. I wanted to bury my face in his clothes and breathe until I passed out. 

Aster frowned. "I can't sleep if you're not next to me."

I arched my eyebrow. "Better get used to it beefcake, I'm not going to sleep in this place every night. I don't like how it makes me feel. Like there's a cat inside me scratching at my arms and my stomach and shit." I shivered. "I'm never coming back after today."

Aster frowned. "You have to."

"What, why?"

Aster flushed slightly, even though the room was fairly chilly. "I just- I just, don't take this the wrong way, but I need you here. It isn't safe for you to be by yourself when you shift for the first time, or when you start running around in your wolf form. This is why we have so many kids, because when some of the members shifted for the first time they were near a kid's birthday party. I had to round up the ones that were bitten from the hospital. That's why we had to leave, we had to get them away from the people that knew they were like this. We gave the parents an oppurtunity to join them, and others we had to explain to them that they had to leave their kids behind."

"That's horrible!" I gasped.

Aster shook his head. "They didn't have a choice. A non-werewolf can't raise a werewolf kid. Especially one as young as that. The parents were guaranteed to get turned by them sooner or later, and we told them as such. Keeping their children wasn't an option, so we gave them the opportunity to just come with us.